Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any reason not to buy a Nikon D600??
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

I’ve had my D80 for years. I have been hankering after a FX body and
    I’ve got the opportunity to go for it. The D600 seems to tick all the boxes. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t?

I’ve loved using my D80 but I’m wondering if I should go mirrorless (Sony Nex) rather than full frame and commit to a string of expensive lenses. I’m not too fussed about weight/size, I’m after a camera where I can get great shots.

If I do go for the D600 does any one have any recommendations for lenses?
    Currently I have a Fx 35mm f/2 which is fantastic for shooting my little girl and a Dx 18-200mm which is useful for travelling.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

stumpy01

Mate of mine was over from Oz in the summer and he’s got one.
    Its a chunky camera. I think he uses it with a 24-70 Nikkor 2.8 – not cheap!

It takes body nice pics, but unless you are really serious about your photography I am not sure it is worth it. Something like the d7100 would for me make it hard to justify.
    He sent me the pics he took at my wedding and they are up to 16Mb just for jpegs!

Have you tried something like the d7100? It is quite a way ahead of the d80, which I’d what I also have.

beanum

Are you aware of the shutter grease spot issues with the D600? The D610 has unofficially been released to fix those issues.

If you can afford it, the D610 would be a safer bet as a result.

For lenses, you’d need to get a decent 50mm to replicate the effect of the 35mm you have now but as far as I am aware there isn’t a superzoom available for FX, that’s more of a consumer level thing. You’d need to replace the 18-200mm with a couple of different FX specific lens at least..

I’m looking at a cheap D7000 as a step up from my D90. I am sure that the D7100 would be a signicant upgrade on your D80 and you wouldn’t have any lens issues…

thewanderer
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Hadn’t heard of the shutter grease spot issues. I’ll consider the D610..

There is a direct replacement for the 18-200mm, the 28-300mm VR. I just have to work out whether to go for the superzoom or some individual lenses.

revs1972
    Free Member

Almost talked myself into buying one.
    Found brand new uk stock at £1040 ( just can’t remember where , although I did speak to them on phone to confirm price was correct)
    Ended up buying a D300s off eBay at £500 locally. It was only bought in June , and had 49 shutter actuations.
    I do prefer the size etc and handling of the D300s over the D600 , but if you are going the FX route then that’s the cheapest way to get there.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

If you can have a look at the pictures that you have taken so far and see what focal length range the majority of you pictures were taken in.

Even though I have (on a D200) the 18-200 I mainly use the 17-55 range. As I have a f2.8 17-55 lens the 18-200 gets very little use.

Depends on the type of photography you are interested in as to which lenses you tend to use.

Resist the NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) 🙂 . Saying that I would love to upgrade to FF myself.

kayak23

I just bought a D7100 over the D600. Fantastic camera. Brilliant upgrade from my D90.
    I researched the D600 and read a few stories about the issue, but this was prior to the release of the D6100. I imagine a lot of it is just how the internet is anyway and that there are thousands of folk happy with the D600 and with no issues. I decided full frame was a bit too much financially right now anyway and am more than happy with my D7100.

A guy on my photography evening class just bought a D600. Quite a step up from his D40 at his level but there you go. He was aware of the oil-spot ‘issue’ but they said it is of course covered under warranty.

Pays your money…

revs1972
    Free Member

Just be prepared for how little your D80 is now worth.
    I ended up keeping mine as a backup as I couldn’t bear selling it for approx £100 *

* I am a bit of a hoarder !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy a Nikon D600??’ is closed to new replies.