• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any real word experience on here with Ghost AMR Lector bikes at all?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

As title says, anyone riding one at the moment, any good?

Alcopop
    Free Member

I have a Ghost Lector RT5700 which i’ve found fantastic, light agile and climbs better than i can
    comfortable riding position makes it a joy to be on all day
    nicely finished had it for two years with no issues

jimjam
    Free Member

I had an AMR 5900 (the 120mm alloy one) and I loved it. Very capable, but I needed more travel so I bought an AMR+ Lector 7700. A fantastic bike to ride. Genuinely a lovely bike. Only problem was that after 3 or 4 months the bottom bracket shell completely delaminated from the main frame.

Despite photographs and the obvious manufacturing defect Hotlines insisted on seeing the frame. Fair enough. 6 weeks without a bike and Hotlines were claiming that the delay was being caused by Ghost who (apparently) hadn’t received the frame, despite the fact I knew full well it was sitting in a bin in CRC’s warranty dept. A few more weeks went past and I eventually received a replacement frame. Different year model and cobbled together from a different front and back end (mismatching decals). CRC insisted it was brand new. When I pressed them about the marks on the frame where BB and headset had been and the fact that the back end didn’t match the front they conceded it had been used as a display bike at Eurobike. The other problem was that the pivots had been tightened so much the suspension wouldn’t move without the shock in. The paint was actually cracked around the pivots.

CRC’s warranty manager Gary Jackson claimed that this was 100% normal and in his opinion and that of his experts a full suspension frame shouldn’t move easily without the shock in place. At this point I demanded a refund, CRC in their generosity saw fit to offer me cash refund of £300 for a carbon frame on a bike that retailed at nearly £4000. After a few more weeks they agreed to give me a Lapierre Zesty frame. Which broke in 3 months.

All the other AMR Lectors I’ve seen ended up breaking. Lovely bikes to ride but their carbon frames are dirt and dealing with CRC/Hotlines is a nightmare.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, will continue to ponder/shop round. I’m not totally convinced Ghost is the way to go if I can’t try one out first. Hmmmmmmmm.

andybrad

boss has one and its currently in my loft a 7700 full suser.

he loves it. I dont like it. Its a propper xc machine. scary downhill

jimjam
    Free Member

7700 just denotes the spec. So you’ll have RT which is a 100mm XC bike, then AMR which is a 120mm trail bike, AMR+ which is 150 and Cagua which s 160 or 170mm. From memory. My 120mm AMR was an absolute ripper of a bike and felt plusher and more capable than my Zesty. The AMR+ was incredible, but, well. See above.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Slight change of plan, I’m looking at the AMR, just not sure about the LT or LC version. Travel wise there isn’t much in it either 110/100mm or 130/120mm.

Also not to sure about sizing, the top tube seems quite long on these. They recommend the XL but compared to my other bikes I think a Large would suffice. Do these come up quite long or small at all?

Thanks again for the replies.

jimjam
    Free Member

When I was selling them I always advised people to go up a size, then swap the bars and stem out for shorter/wider. Since they *had* very low BBs and good stand over clearance you got a fantastic cornering and very stable bike.

The 650b ones I started to see filtering through didn’t feel quite as nice to me, so not sure I can help you.

FWIW I’m 5’9 with a 32″ leg and I ride a 48cm. Fits me like a medium in anything else but with the added benefit of a longer top tube which is still just about in keeping with current trends.

I remember demoing a 29er AMR in a 48cm and I got on okay with that too.

poah
    Free Member

not an amr but I’ve an ASX which was basically the same geometry but cheaper material. no issues at all thankfully. been ok but I recon bike is slightly too big in the stand over department however I’m inbetween most bikes S or M sizes. fitted a works components -1.5 head set which made the bike a lot better. geometry isn’t that “modern” even the riotonly has a 68 degree head angle. personally I would look at other bikes

jimjam
    Free Member

poah

geometry isn’t that “modern” even the riotonly has a 68 degree head angle. personally I would look at other bikes

This is the difference between reading something online and trying it out in the real world though. Having ridden a 48cm Riot with a 610mm tt I can assure you it doesn’t need a slacker head angle for it’s intended purpose. It’s designed as a trail bike and is brilliant in that respect. They break too though.

If they could sort out the build quality and find a different distributor I’d buy a Riot tomorrow.

poah
    Free Member

ETT only applies to sitting down and is obviously affected by seat tube angle. compared to a transition scout, its lagging but no doubt handles better than mine 🙁

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve had a amr7500 for a few years. Absolutely love it and not a thing has gone wrong. Changed the bars/stem/seat and cassette and a set it up 1×10.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Check out the new SL-AMR and FR-AMR I think we might be seeing a few more Ghosts around for 2016..

poah
    Free Member

they look quite smart

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any real word experience on here with Ghost AMR Lector bikes at all?’ is closed to new replies.