Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any reading on training for oldies?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I can find plenty of real basic stuff, not much more than saying ‘look after yourself’
    But I’d like to see if there is anything written especially for the saga set.

TiRed

There was an excellent article in Cycling Weekly a few months back. Not seen any books specifically aimed at oldies. I follow the Time Crunched Cyclist training plan for commuters (loosely) and have raced E1234 masters this summer (9/12 races). They seem to be doing alright on whatever plans they are following because the average speed was 27.4 mph last week 😯 . Over the season I’ve gone from making up the numbers to top third and even placed top 10. This is my first season racing.

MSP

Joe Friel does quite a bit of stuff about training for the older athlete.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

+1 for Joe Friel, his site and MTB Bible training book have a fair few sections for the elder racer

neilm
    Free Member

As other have said Joe Friel is yer man, Riding Past 50, ISBN-13; 978-0-880011-737-1.

There’s a lot of pretty basic stuff in there, but there are also some very specific targets and guidance and I use aspects of the book as part of my road riding / training

timb34
    Free Member

Joe Friel’s blog has recently had a few entries about age-related stuff as well.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

depends how old. light bike full suss only on gentle paths, suggest carpet bowls might be a bit more sensible if bones are brittle as a broken hip can really spoil your autumn years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any reading on training for oldies?’ is closed to new replies.