Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Raspberry Pi/Arduino type folk in?
  • TheFlyingOx

I’ve heard enough things about these to think they might be the solution I’m looking for.

Basically, I’m progressing through my piano grades but the wife won’t let me buy a piano yet until she’s 100% sure I’ll keep at it. Instead, I’ve got a midi keyboard which I plug in to the laptop, running a midi generator and have some portable speakers. It’s a lot of hassle plugging everything in, unplugging if she wants to use the laptop, etc.

I’m sure I can use some kind of Raspberry Pi thingumybob to plug in the keyboard and some speakers, and when I power it on it automagically loads the midi generator and doesn’t need a screen. But what exactly do I need?

spacemonkey

Are you thinking along the lines of …

This or this?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Have a look on the Pi site ….. loads of info.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uponthedowns
    Free Member

Or if you have an iPhone or ipad you could use this

TheFlyingOx

No Apple products unfortunately, otherwise that would have been ideal.

The links from spacemonkey and sharkbait look a bit fiddly to me. All the python script stuff is a bit beyond me for now, although I’m happy editing config files within Linux.

If I were using an old desktop computer I’d have no problem setting up a Linux install to do what I needed, but realistically it’s a bit bulky for the space I have available at the mo. Could I do the same with a plain Raspberry Pi 3, install linux, install a midi generator, and with a bit of initial fiddling about with settings get it to just work?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Raspberry Pi/Arduino type folk in?’ is closed to new replies.