• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any rap fans know any non parental-guidance rap(pers)
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

My Nephew is a handful, he’s currently attending a special needs school 3 days a week, he’s been diagnosed with severe ADHD. He is very bright if you can keep his intrest long enough and picks things up really fast. I taught him how to service his bike, draw and were building a bird table, he likes hands on things like that. He’s going to MMA classes to control his temper and he’s improving lots, which is good as he is a big strong lad for a 9 year old.

He is into rap music and makes up his own rhymes, he’s good at it and has been on local radio and won some talent shows. I’m looking to burn some cd’s to slowly replace the gangsta rap he keeps getting his hands on. Im looking for suggestions by ‘proper’ rappers old or new that are non sweary, I’ve got a few radio edits and things downloaded but I’d like more.

If anyone has any suggestions please post them, names and titles rather than YouTube links please.

Thankyou 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ugly Duckling!

flow
    Free Member

NWA

GW
    Free Member

Beastie Boys, not very sweary but still good.

meehaja
    Free Member

Dilated people,
    Jurassic 5,
    Run DMC,
    maybe go a little spoken word (with hip hop beats) and try Sage Francis and dan le sac V’s Scroobius pip?

Also, crazy as it sounds, email tim westwood from radio 1, he has a reputation for being a “good guy” and often helps out with local projects and “good things” without attaching his name to stuff and turning into a PR opportunity. He’ll certainly know some good tunes!

cheburashka
    Free Member

Dream Warriors FTW

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

+1 Ugly Duckling

MrGreedy

Jurassic 5 are quite old school and fairly clean I think* – check out early tracks like Concrete Schoolyard for starters.

*Disclaimer – once you’re old enough not to smirk every time you hear a rude word, you tend not to notice them so much, but even so it’s definitely not NWA level swearing.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

+3 Jurassic 5

DJ Format/MC Abdominal

grievoustim
    Free Member

yep – Beastie Boys (2nd album onwards) and Public Enemy are “safe” around kids- although PE use the N word from time to time, which might need explaining and contextualising

2bit

DJ Format ft Abdominal
    Ugly Duckling
    Jurassic 5
    K’naan
    De La Soul
    The Nextmen Ft Dynamite MC
    Roots Manuva (mostly)
    Def Tex
    MC Solaar
    Q Tip (mostly)
    Aspects
    Jungle Brothers
    Eric B & Rakim
    Showbiz & AG
    Braintax
    Kano
    Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer
    Public Enemy
    Beastie Boys
    Run DMC
    Arrested Development
    Latryx / Lyrics Born
    The Herbaliser
    Marcus Explains
    Ozomatli
    Quannum project
    2 Hungry Bros – My Crew all thinner (not PG but very very good & not gangsta)

Not 100% if everything they’ve ever done is 100% safe BUT they’re all far from Gangsta (& very very good)

_tom_
    Free Member

+1 Beastie Boys, they’re my favourite rap artists.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Scroobius Pip – excellent lyricist, plus no guns, bitches and bling type stuff..

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Will Smith don’t gotta cuss in his raps to sell his records;
    well I do, so **** him and **** you too

sebgt
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjDSlVyGiU&feature=related[/video]

chalkntrees
    Free Member

Whilst De La Soul are very good, it’s worth noting that the album “3 Feet High & Rising” contains a song called “De La Orgee” which isn’t suitable for a 9 year old. There’s some good stuff listed above though.

float
    Free Member

check out Brother Ali.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooarT3cn8_o[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sweatshop Union, quite humourous to boot.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Tricky one, cause all the artists I can think of have *some* swearing and stuff, even if it’s not full of it, NWA style.

Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, De La (as said above, avoid De La Orgee), maybe some Pharcyde? Q-Tip, Beasties, Slick Rick, possibly The Cool Kids?

Some of those may be unsuitable too to be honest, but might be worth having a listen to see.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5aVI2zsFE[/video]

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Pharoahe monche. Awesome rapper. One of the lyrical poets.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thankyou!! Lots to go on. I’m sure with this list we can find something suitable.

fingerbike
    Free Member

another recommend for Ugly Duckling, just get the album – journey to anywhere. New album – Moving at breakneck speed is pretty good too.

flow
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hZR1Ye6xg0[/video]

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any rap fans know any non parental-guidance rap(pers)’ is closed to new replies.