Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any QSs in the house
  • sugdenr
    Free Member

I’m after getting some help with quantities for pricing a significant domestic extension/refurb. Anyone on here in that game and interested?

wallop

Have you got dimensioned drawings? Which elements do you need measuring?

sugdenr
    Free Member

Yup, got it all drawn up in autocad, want to get enough for broken down pricing by subbies and suppliers, and an idea of how long different elements (should)will take so I can draw up a schedule both trades and materials ordering.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I could price it on the back of a fag packet and it wouldn’t be far wrong….
    As an aside all subbies (bar the groundworkers) I was bringing in would all be on a supply and fix contract. You doing any of the work yourself?

wallop

I’m a QS and unless I was doing any of the work myself, I would not be providing any materials. Let your subcontractors take the risk on late deliveries, waiting time, errors, quantities etc. Unless you really, really know what you’re doing – let the subcontractor supply. They’ll get better rates than you, too.

You need to give us more info, but a better approach would be to write a scope of works for each trade, clearly defining exactly what it is you want them to do, and get them to price on a lump sum basis. An important thing to consider is the interface between each trade – identify who is doing which bit.

The three “tenets” of quantity surveying are time, cost and quality – be clear on what you want, when you want it, and how much you are paying for it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Yup know all that and agree except I want to be able to roughly work out split of labour and I want to at least be able to do materials if I want to, they might well get better rates but that is not a universal truth, also I intend to do this again. Trying to resist temptation to do any myself, important bit is that I could if I wanted to. Cheers chaps wallop if you could email me pls in profile.

plumber
    Free Member

This is going all sorts of Grand design

And for that reason I’m out

wallop

Email sent.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fag packet pricing clearly not good enough! Good luck and fwiw groundworks is always better as labour only ime, as there’s sod all savings they get over you.

wallop

He doesn’t want a price – it’s the quantities he’s after!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Plumber – you cant declare out unless you were ever invited in old chap.

Wallop – cheers will email you tomorrow

Wrighty-my-old-so – kind offer but wrighty is correct, and yes have a groundsworkman who prefers labour anyway cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any QSs in the house’ is closed to new replies.