Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Any proper 'hot' hatches, £3-4k?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

wifes got a mk1 audi TT 220BHP quattro.

Brilliant fun to drive and you can (just) get a bike in the back.

Prices vary wildly – from 1500- to 10k for immaculate ones. I think we spent 1500 – & a mega £1000 service! 😯 but we had been looking at £5k cars in much worse condition/ not looked after etc.

benp1

Generalising massively, anything pre 2000 or so will be more about handling than power (in relative terms), so it will feel nimble rather than have genuine pace. Early noughties this started to change to MOAR power, with varying levels of handling competence.

I’ve say go for a Renaultsport Clio, that’ll give you hot hatch handling and plenty of power, whilst actually being damn good fun

Will have a rubbish french interior though

Pug 306 GTI6 is a good shout too. Or maybe a Rallye, or a 106 too.

fourbanger
    Free Member

At £3-4k, and driven on the public road, he’s probably right.

I mistook it for RWD snobbery…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, Funky “Left foot braking everywhere” Dunc does have previous for that. For me the rear wheel drive bit was nice, but the great handling, amazingly precise gear shift, position 8″ above the ground and roof down experience were what made it more exciting than a hot hatch.

Although Clio’s seem to be the popular choice, Mini is my fave so far. Half fancy an old TT, but they aren’t supposed to be great. A Focus ST170 has been described as a warm hatch at best.

Don’t mind the idea of an MX5, but thinking ‘fast/powerfu’l at the moment. Probably won’t end up with anything – have bikes and cameras to spend money on – I do have whims occassionally though and sometimes act on them.

Given a bit more money on a rising scale, I’d be looking at Boxsters, RS4’s M5’s, M3’s, C63 AMG’s

timber

Go saloon and get an Impreza? Options for more power.
    Don’t think your budget will stretch to an Evo which is more focussed.

We had an MX-5, whilst it was fun and kept it close to the law, it wasn’t rapid. Think you may have missed the boat on Porsche 944, which is what replaced our MX-5, as their prices have risen. That was quick and fun, certainly troubled a few hot hatches.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

£1500 on a motorbike and $1500 on a crappy diesel hatchback for the shopping?

Erm, I haven’t got a bike licence ^^ 😐

And I’ve got a great big 3.2l diesel thingy that I can put shopping in…

granny_ring

Be careful if you get a mk5 gti, it makes you put on over a stone in weight 😯
    I’ve loved driving the bleeding thing so much since I got it nearly 18 months ago it’s made me a lazy get.
    Same as DBW, I love the dsg drive. 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

MX5 is fun.
    S2000 is similar but more powerful (240hp I thnk)
    Or a Boxster?

You’re lacking practicality then.

What about an Alfa 146 GTA for something different?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My Mini was a rattly piece of junk. One of the few cars I’m glad to have got rid of.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

My facelift R53 MINI Cooper S was the only car I’ve wanted to drive for the sake of it since the Citroen AX GT I had at 18.

The whole point of a ‘hot hatch’ is nimble. Focus ST’s and even Golf GTI’s aren’t nimble. You can modify them to improve things, but they’re still relatively heavy. The sporty Clio’s are a good shout. If your only criteria is decent 0-60 mph, then very little imagination is required to find something. I’d wager you’ll be bored pretty quickly, though.

joff
    Free Member

Clio 197 here, love it, great fun on windy roads, 6.9 0-60 keeps it sensible enough. used as a daily runner for a year made me cry and it doesn’t do sensible or economy even if you try, the 200 is a better choice as they got rid of the cold start kangeroo problem from what i’m told. Got round the economy problem by running a Citroen C1 which just makes you appreciate driving the 197 even more and keeps the commute miles off it.

DrP

Civic Type-R?

This!

I REALLY miss my EP3 CTR – I keep toying with getting a cheapish one (circa 3-4k) just for fun..
    but i don’t really need to drive anywhere, anywhere I do is with teh kids.

Meh..I’ll have one again one day!

DrP

allfankledup

Another one for mk5 Golf Gti – can get a high mileage one on air at that price – most owners on the FB group seem more interested in stance and outright power than going around corners…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Any proper 'hot' hatches, £3-4k?’ is closed to new replies.