Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any postmen/women on here? Whats the job like?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a job change in next few years, this could be an option.

Thinking of a walking/delivery postie.

How many days per week? Hours per week? Miles per day? Days off?

Any insight appreciated.

Houns

I’ve been applying over the last few months as and when something within distance comes up. All positions bar one have been withdrawn due to ‘budget issues’. So all I’d say is prepare to be frustrated by the recruitment process ( each time I waited the 2 weeks stated after passing all online tests before contacting them)

There are also various hours/days/jobs. A lot I have seen have only been a few hours over a couple of days

My BiL is a postie and he’s getting more and more fed up with job. Recent change to working hours means he has to clock on at some bizarre times (07:37 iirc) but he is old school and wanted the job due to early starts/finishes, this is changing. He also says lots of staff have left and no been replaced due to budgets.

I’m going to keep on trying but not get hopes up, I wouldn’t rely on getting a job there. Look for something else and keep trying the RMG on the off chance

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Missstripes did it for a bit, I think she quite enjoyed it… when the weather was good! Hard though, and occasional cockups delayed her, which was a pain. Early mornings though, are you a morning person?

qwerty
    Free Member

Well used to early starts, long shifts & night work.

Houns

He sates there is a move away from the early starts now. Postierich is best guy to speak to

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

They’ll give you a set of DM’s!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Qwerty, where are you based? Velopost are in Bristol, Bath and Edinburgh. Postie on a bike!

I did it for a year. Was great fun. Pay dire. My fitness was off the scale. Great days.

br
    Free Member

Based on the FB postings from one of the girls I ride with; it’s a crap job, in the cold/wet, her feet hurt and poor money.

Also, I guess you’d earn the same forever, ie the same the day you retire as the day you start.

egb81
    Free Member

Velopost are in Bristol,

Either I’m really stupid (totally possible) but I can’t find anyway to apply beyond just pinging an email to a generic info address.

lizzz
    Free Member

They don’t take on full time staff… so if you’re ok with part time, something like 4 or 5 days per week 25-28 hours plus whatever overtime you do it can be not too bad. Start times aren’t early anymore.
    I reckon it averages about 10 miles per day.

Entirely dependent on line management how tolerable it is, some are good, some are ok… all will lie to your face. Not the job for someone who wont stand their ground against bullies.

The weather thing is a bit of a non-issue really, you get used to dealing with it, and if you’re already out and about on bikes in all sorts of weather then you’re a step ahead of most.

postierich
    Free Member

No chance of a full-time job 39hrs but there is a huge turn around of staff at the moment so keep your eyes peeled on the website(RM).
    25hr contract is the norm with chance of extra hours if you can hack it,as above lots of offices are run by idiots and can only see what a computer tells them!
    Enjoy the job but i work on my own and work in a nice area,hate to work in a not so affluent area !

JOIN THE UNION on day one 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

No chance of a full-time job 39hrs but there is a huge turn around of staff at the moment so keep your eyes peeled on the website(RM).
    25hr contract is the norm with chance of extra hours if you can hack it

So, what hours & how many days per week is that?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

egb81. Sorry I can’t help, I don’t work for them any longer. They’re only small, so would imagine a generic email would most likely get to the right person.

postierich
    Free Member

5X5hr days with paid 30 min break usually starting around 9.30am but each office is different due to make up of duties and what time their mail hits the delivery office!

project
    Free Member

posties are haveing extra christmas hols on strike 23 /24 december and 31 decemeber and 2 jan. It appears.

postierich
    Free Member

really!! I think you will find its the guys that transport the money around the Post Office branches that are taking balloted legitimate industrial action. They are not part of Royal Mail!

skids
    Free Member

It’s easy work if you can get it, £10 hour to walk around

angeldust
    Free Member

Well paid for an unskilled job

slackalice
    Free Member

Daftvader to the forum please!

postierich
    Free Member

£10 an hour and the rest 🙂
    Easy work yeah right jog on!

project
    Free Member

Apologies to Royal mail staff, its the cash collecting peeps whom are striking not Postal delivery persons, wrong details off a right wing funded website it appears.

proper linky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30507656

nick1962
    Free Member

Can’t believe anyone hasn’t already said the classic “beats walking the streets”.
    I’ll get my coat…

carlosg
    Free Member

posties are haveing extra christmas hols on strike 23 /24 december and 31 decemeber and 2 jan. It appears.

First I’ve heard about that it must be a regional or certain offices thing ,there’s definitely not been a ballot on industrial action in the office I work at.

EDIT , was writing this essay when a reply to the above was posted.
    I’ve been a postie for the last 17 years and the job has changed a massive amount in that time , at the start it was a bit of a joke to be honest. You got paid 40 hours but in reality I’d be suprised if I ever worked more than about 25 ,in recent years the job has gone totally to the other end of the spectrum and we’re now stuggling to finish our duties in the allotted time.
    Plus points for the job:-
    You get provided with a full uniform (shirt/polo shirt/blouse,shorts/trousers,full waterproofs and a reasonable choice of footwear)
    Most days you’re finished by 2.45pm (good for collecting kids from school although another change is apparently on the cards)
    The camaraderie in most offices is pretty good,plenty of banter and we watch each others backs.
    Floating day off gives you a long weekend every 6 weeks(this can be different in some offices)
    After a couple of hours in the office each morning you’re in the great outdoors(no boss breathing down your neck)
    Minus points:-
    Not all office managers are capable/reasonable(more interested in their own importance than actually doing the job properly)
    New/junior recruits tend to get pushed from pillar to post a lot (switching rounds/moved to other offices to cover sick ect)
    You’re on probation for the first 6 months and this can be extended at the managers discretion meaning you don’t want to make waves in order to keep the job
    Some dogs are vicious,but most aren’t
    Lack of social life most weekends as you’ve been up since 5.30am and are knackered by 10.30pm (unless its your long weekend)
    All things considered I still like the job , the wages aren’t fantastic but they’re a lot better than many large companies are offering. Walking helps you stay fit and you meet some interesting people.

daftvader
    Free Member

My 2p worth…. It’s the easiest job in the world made difficult by mismanagement and a culture of “I’m alright jack” once you are out of the office it’s great, in the office you need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of football and be able to use playground humour….and everything carlosg said….

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

MissStripes would agree with the above.

She also says, as a guy you’re in a better position because you probably find more places to pee!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any postmen/women on here? Whats the job like?’ is closed to new replies.