Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • any police on here?
  • taka
    Free Member

i need to drive to cumbria tonight but the vehicle im going in i bought the other day off a friend who lives 60miles away and still has the log book but the car needs taxing, i couldn’t tax it at a post office today because you need the logbook to do so and ive tried applying online but its saying i have to wait until the 5th of the month before i can do so so what the hell do i do for 5 days drive without tax?

excuse the grammar
    tom

glupton1976
    Free Member

Try not to get caught and dont crash it?

highclimber
    Free Member

any police on here?

No, they’ve all gone to their 2nd jobs!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    meehaja
    Free Member

officially if you’re not displaying a tax disc you’re in trouble,
    ANPR will flag you up as untaxed, though I don’t know if this will generate an auto fine?
    If you don’t get caught it didn’t happen, and IIRC you’re in west yorks, so A65 the whole way and hope for the best?

taka
    Free Member

only problem there is 4 anpr cameras between my house and skipton let alone skipton to keswick

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Insurance?

taka
    Free Member

yeh got that

Orangejohn
    Free Member

A Police Officer must surely state that it is against the law to use a vehicle on the road without tax.
    New Years Eve I would hope they would be busy with other things.

If you buy the tax on Wednesday are you going to be buying it from the start of Jan or Dec, if the latter I can’t imagine the ANPR cameras causing issues, if the former there is a risk.
    I would hazard a guess at the risk being fairly slight either way though!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tom, I meant that you should check that you insurance is not invalidatd. You could be in real trouble in that case.

jota180
    Free Member

Insurance will be fine

taka
    Free Member

the only thing i could see on the insurance side is that the vehicle is not in my name yet on the system unless the royal mail are doing exceedingly well for once as it was only sent off yesterday the bit of the log book i haven’t got is the new keepers supplement

TheFlyingOx

Get matey to tax online with the logbook reference number. Bank transfer cash to matey. Drive to where you need to be.

taka
    Free Member

ive got the log book reference number but the stupid dvla website say im too late what ever that means?

cozz
    Free Member

thats a good idea taka

but it wont instant update – so could still trigger ANPR

but at least it shows willing

Kato

You’d have to be properly weary to stick you on a £30 ticket for failing to display. Ultimately, no tax is DVLA’s business

willber
    Free Member

Just drive it!!!

Im pretty sure there’s some policy about having to be two months out of date before anyone gives a crap.

Well i’d drive it anyway – but ultimately its your call. You cant really hold a fellow STW’er to book of you get caught out and they said you’d be OK, but I would drive it there without the slightest worry.

globalti
    Free Member

Those cameras aren’t ANPR, they’re speed cameras. ANPR is only fitted to each county’s single operating patrol car so they can catch all the naughty drivers and make it look as if the county actually has traffic Police.

bellys
    Free Member

you can tax a car on the dvla web site at any time as long as you got the right info…my dads car was left in storage as they were away, before they got home I taxed it for him mid of the mth but he got charged for the full mth…not sure why you can not do it…granted the disk will not get posted out till after new year but the ANPR will show you as taxed when it runs the check..

deluded
    Free Member

What Kato said.

hora
    Free Member

*shows forum replies to Officer as proof of his online colleagues opinions*

k-sugden
    Free Member

you can check the dvla database here https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov the same one APNR uses just click vehicle enquiry yours will say due to expire this status will not change until well into January just tax it within the next few days you will be fine not fined

grantway
    Free Member

simple pay for it online, and have your friend on the phone give you the details
    so you can drive or simply get your mate to tax it on line and the give him the
    money later 😉

totalshell

stick some taxi stickers on it and large it outside a nightclub.. fill up with drunks and let em off in keswick.. innit

jkomo

Just drive as fast as possible.
    You’ll get there quicker.
    Same system as bad fog and snow.

spxxky

To tax a car it must have valid insurance on it and an MOT. If you’ve just insured it and it wasn’t insured by the previous owner, it will take time for your insurance to update on the DVLA database – in which case you won’t be able to tax it for about a week. ANPR cameras are everywhere, not just on police vehicles!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

You wont see any cops.
    There all in the local town centre. 😀

faz083
    Free Member
    bigbloke
    Free Member

Are you sure you have not misread the dvla site. I taxed mine today and all was ok but it always states that it can take up to 5 days for new disc to arrive.

tpbiker
    Free Member

it needs to be taxed online before the existing disc runs out. If you do that you have 5 working days.

If you wait until after its expired to do it online then you aren’t covered until its actually displayed if I remember correctly.

martymac

book it in for an mot test at your destination, you’re allowed to drive to and from a test centre of your choice as long as you have a test booked and the vehicle is insured.

hugor
    Free Member

I drove my car around in Cardiff with an expired disc for at least 2 months before realising (DVLA had an old address). I paid it instantly online upon realising, expected a fine but didnt get one, and when the disc arrived the tax period was backdated to the expiry date.
    I didn’t stop driving at any point.
    I personally wouldn’t get too concerned but hey I’m no policeman.

Kato

Bottom line is this. A regular copper won’t be interested in your lack of tax. Traffic police on the other hand………

Avoid the ones in white hats and you’ll be fine

Fraz
    Free Member

Even if you could tax it online prior to leaving the offence is failing to display a valid excise licence. Its a £60 ticket if your caught and it bears no relation to your insurance policy so its up to you…

PePPeR

Don’t forget to leave the expired tax disc on the vehicle, do not be tempted to put one from another vehicle on in its place.

The offence is for not displaying a valid tax disc, a criminal offence if not displayed, or if you put another cars in its place this is also a criminal offfence. I’ve been taken to court over this and the magistrate threw the offence out as I had an out of date (but valid) tax disc on display.

If you just have an expired tax disc, this is a tax offence and is only a civil matter. You will not be committing a criminal offence (a big difference)!

Mugboo

The chances of you having a problem are slim to nowt if you drive sensibly.

A few years ago in the same position I chose to drive my, new to me, van. I crashed the bugger, untaxed, and the broker said to keep schtum and tax it as soon as possible. There were no comebacks and the van got fixed.
    Maybe I was lucky, I’ll never know.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘any police on here?’ is closed to new replies.