Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any point in a 20mm capable hub with 15mm so popular now?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just for general trail/XC type riding and forks.

Choice of 2 front hubs – one can take 20/15/QR, other can take 15/QR.

About 70g difference in weight and it’s only at the hub, not where it matters. 20mm hub does have bigger bearings though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d go for the everything compatible if the hubs were equal, depends what the options are.

scaredypants

next standard will probably be 21.25 or something, so I doubt the 20 will truly be useful if you don’t already have a 20mm fork

Northwind

I saw after years of taking the piss, the second Fox discovered they’d won the axle war with their inferior 15mm bollocks they decided that 20mm totally makes sense for a trailbike… It’s sort of funny, in a head-smashing way.

I’m still swapping between 15 and 20mm forks but if I was starting from scratch, 20mm compatability wouldn’t be worth 70g imo

mboy
    Free Member

20mm compatibility only really of any concern if you’re buying 2nd hand forks, and/or anything over 160mm of travel. Otherwise it’s largely redundant…

For now…

kelvin

What Northwind says.

andyl
    Free Member

For now…

ahh git..

Ended up going for the heavier rim. The Hope I was going to put on is the same weight (if not a bit more) than the heavier and bigger bearings, chunkier disc brake tabs and compatibility with my other wheels and 9mm QR/bolt up axle won over 68g. Am on the look out for some 2nd hand forks for all 3 bikes anyway.

Maybe if the lightweight hub had more proven longevity and if I was buying new forks/new bike then I agree it would be the other way round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Northwind +1.

At 210lbs loaded up, I can’t tell the difference between 15 and 20 mm. So I guess the difference can only be felt on DH applications.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any point in a 20mm capable hub with 15mm so popular now?’ is closed to new replies.