Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any point changing hex bolts to torx for security?
  • Wally

Bike will be left on car rack locked very very well, but fully aware of strip ability. Vague thoughts about a stem bolt or two, brake lever bolt, stem and brake caliper bolt, being torx just to make life a bit more difficult for a tealeaf.

Am I wasting my time, torx is hardly unique – but even the bolts are hard to find on the net. Rigid SS – so not a lot to secure.

Help a Wally.

richcc
    Free Member

Don't suppose it would do any harm. Bonus points for the annoying torx with the pin in the middle. Better still, try not to leave bike exposed in that dodgy an area

tomhughes46

the annoying torx with the pin in the middle

Tamperproof it's often called. You can also get tamperproof hex (in my experience even harder to get hold of tamperproof hex keys).

As said above, can you not leave it in the house/car?

The big downside of this is when something goes tits up on the trail you will have to carry the specific tools, as well as sourcing the bolts (try RS?) You can easily remove the seat I guess. I think I have seen somewhere Head Doctor style wedges that need a unique key.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't leave the bike on the car. Reduce the risk of it attracting thieves don't try to make their life harder.

tomhughes46

TJ has a good point. If they really want it they'll probably just total the car and take the roof rack with it…

Cougar

From my limited experience of bike theft, they'll not bother unbolting anything irrespective of how common the tools are, they'll just brute force the bugger. Scrotes don't care about collateral damage.

Northwind

tomhughes46 – Member

"(in my experience even harder to get hold of tamperproof hex keys)"

Considering B&Q sell the tools to remove "tamperproof" torq that's not saying an awful lot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any point changing hex bolts to torx for security?’ is closed to new replies.