Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any plumbers out there. Silicone balls in the water supply
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Help please.

We have little, what appear to be, silicome balls in our water supply. 😯

All but the cold water on the kitchen tap runs through a water softner which has run out of salt tablets but it’s run out beofre & we have never had this problem.

The balls are large enough to catch in the little mesh like filters on the mixer taps & water inlet to the washing machine.

Anyone have any idea what they could be & what has caused them. Originally i thought it was just the hot water feed but as its on the cold water feed for the washing machine this can’t be the case. Just before the balls started to come through the water pressure on each tap dropped to almost nothing before returning to normal 😕

Cheers

project
    Free Member

Wasnt there a monster on Star Trek based on Silicon.

A Horta, a fictional silicon-based life-form in the Star Trek universe. … A highly intelligent silicon-based creature made almost entirely of pure rock

Star Trek, Devil in the Dark

user-removed
    Free Member

Nah. Frog spawn.

dalepoint
    Free Member

Sensible answer water softner has failed. The silicone balls are come from there.

bigsi
    Free Member

Well its not started eating the dogs yey & it definatly doesn’t taste like frog spawn 😉

awh
    Free Member

My sister’s husband works for Yorkshire Water and his job is putting silicone balls in the pipes! It’s a technique they uses for fixing the leaky pipes, basically the hole gets plugged by the balls. Shouldn’t be coming out in the water supply though!

bigsi
    Free Member

Its not coming in to the house as far as i can tell as the drinking water tap is alright when on cold. It just seems to the be the ones that run through the water softner 😕

project
    Free Member

The Horta is havving sex with the water softner then.

Bear
    Free Member

Sounds like the softener. I had something similar once and am pretty certain that was on a softened supply. What make of softener out of interest?

Bear
    Free Member

put the softener into bypass and see if it still happens?

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Bear.

It seems to have stopped so whatever has gone in the system seems to have passed through it.

Not sure on make. We got it with a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher that we bought in 2003.

Bear
    Free Member

That would have made a whole in your wallet. They are seriously expensive appliances.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any plumbers out there. Silicone balls in the water supply’ is closed to new replies.