Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any plumbers or drainage experts about?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just dismantled or kitchen over the last 2 days and this morning I removed the boxing round the soil pipe from the bathroom above 
    I discovered the ceramic pipe had broken where the cast iron pipe joins into it at floor level. This had obviously happened quite some time ago but has left a 1-2 inch gap between the pipes, which has obviously leaked. Not pretty. 

Happily I have a plumber arriving tomorrow, as he was booked for other work on the new kitchen.  But having finished DIY I was idly wondering how this might be best fixed. I can’t see the pipe in the floor being removed easily, put it that way!!!

Ideas?

I’ll post a pic in a second….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

iphone_pic by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

midlifecrashes

Needs a new towel at least.

Looks to me like the flange section of the clay soil pipe has come away. If the pipe below ground is still watertight you will be able to put a joint in at ground level.

Drainage couplers/adapters

If you need to cut the clay pipe, an angle grinder with a stone cutter will do, stihl saw with metal slitting disc for the cast iron. Hope you haven’t just painted and put a new floor in. Looks like you’ll have to at least cut a foot or three up the cast pipe to be able to wiggle the new joints in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, that’s it exactly. The flange has cracked off. Looking at the cast iron pipe above, it’s not quite inline, which I think is the cause.

Impossible to tell what it’s like beneath the floor though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, not even started yet. Plumber coming tomorrow to tidy up pipework and plumb in the gas. It’s just a totally empty room right now

midlifecrashes

You’ll soon see the state of it once you’ve cut back the cast pipe. Good chance it’s just the to flange cracked off and an adapter will slide in. You could of course stick your new iphone in there with an led light to do a video drain survey!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good idea! Maybe…..???!?! 😕

robdob
    Free Member

It’s probably been caused by the extreme density, girth and regularity of the inhuman turds you keep flushing down it. Get the pipe repaired, encase in reinforced concrete with a protective Kevlar sheething and the shockwave of the double morning “brown death” bottom bombs may not have such a devestating impact.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers Rob. Good advice there. Or not. 😉

robdob
    Free Member

What do you do at the moment if you need a grumper?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Same as we have for the last 2 years not knowing the pipe was broken!

Andy

double morning “brown death” bottom bombs

Oh the horror, ….the horror….. 😯

😆

showerman
    Free Member

keep an eye out for sewer rats if they find a way out like that you will have them all ove the house 😯

tomhughes46

Similar thing happened my current house.

Took us a long time before we discovered the source of the smell! There was effectively a cess pit under the stairs.

Landlord replaced the pipe, and re-concreted outside but slightly concerned it happened because the house is sliding down the hill…

robdob
    Free Member

Sliding on a rancid river of poop? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any plumbers or drainage experts about?’ is closed to new replies.