• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any plumbers in the house. Leaking immersion question.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

If so and based on your experience what is the likely hood of being able to remove and replace the immersion heater element shown below without destroying the cylinder? Looks like it has been leaking for a while.

alanl
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the outer flange to body joint – it looks a little corroded there, and they do break easily once they are forced a little.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the outer flange to body join

Yes. It has corroded there too. I was hoping that the outer casing was just containing the sandwiched foam insulation.

alanl
    Free Member

Is it copper or stainless?
    If the copper has corroded around the flange, I’d be budgeting for a new tank. They are not too expensive, £100ish, fitting takes 3 hours typically.Oh, and get stainless to replace copper, longer life, cheaper.Make sure you have the correct immersion too – normal copper ones should not be used in stainless tanks.
    In the meantime, you may get some joy using LSX sealant around the leak. It’s only a short term fix, sometime it does work.

Bear
    Free Member

Try cracking the immersion heater with the cylinder full of water as it helps support the cylinder.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any plumbers in the house. Leaking immersion question.’ is closed to new replies.