Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any plastering/rendering folk in here?
  • bearnecessities

Rendering the recess, then plasterboarding the front (and rest)

Q; Which edge bead do I need that I can render up to, but will also then attach to plasterboard for a skim? I can’t find an answer on google.

(Cheeky second question) the lintel is a bit bobbly; am I ok to use render to make it flat so I can offer up the closure plate (for a wood burner)

Ta

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’ll crack on the cheeks, maybe…

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’ll crack on the cheeks, maybe…

😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cdaimers

This is the correct way to do it and shows the render/plasterboard location. They have used a cement board which is far easier than just using render.

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/lining-a-fireplace/

On the issue of the wobbly lintel, use cement fire paste and then bolt the fire plate to it when wet. This will take out imperfections.

sig123
    Free Member

As above this is the way it should be done .

bearnecessities

Thanks, but I’m clearly not getting this!

If I’m putting this skim bead on the plaster, (that will have a depth of 12.5mm + adhesive depth, so say 25mm) right up and flesh with the edge of the plaster…

a) Do I simply render over this 25mm depth of adhesive & plasterboard on the inside – how do you ‘finish’ it without a protuding edge to work up to?

and

b) if I use hardibacker as in the link, how does that exposed ‘edge’ of the bead get covered? Surely if you were to plaster ‘around’ it, it wold crack? Some kind of high temp silicone?

Sorry if I’m being thick here, but I just don’t get it 😳

(and naturally, the pic doesn’t show the bit that I want to see!)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Did you conclude this task at all? I’ve just had a stove fitted and fireboard backing is in place, exposed edge around the fireplace that needs finished. My mate (the plasterer) is concerned about just plastering to the edge of this board as there’s nothing firm, nothing to tape onto or a bead, seeing as there’s no plastering being done inside the alcove.

Any thoughts? Are you plastering the whole area behind your stove?

bearnecessities

No, it’s doing my head in! Stop bead I get, but what covers the exposed edge of stop bead I still don’t get!

If it helps, I was a happy, cash spending individual, living in a lovely rented house until I discovered the joys of home ownership. Now I’m poor, debt ridden, socially farked and living in a shit tip, muppet.

I’ve got a £20k unsecured loan and many 0% credit cards I try to play the game with . That said, I’m mentally and physically broken and I’ve developed a distrust of anyone that is in any trade.

..and no, I’ve still not figured the OP out!

Yay home ownership!

chippyjim
    Free Member

You want a plasterboard edge bead, not a stop bead.
    This is a bead that fits over the plasterboard and allows you to render up to the back of the board.
    Its listed on this page about halfway down
    http://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/plaster-stop-bead.html

bearnecessities

Thanks Chippy. Have actually now decided to go down the hardiebacker route and have eventually figured out how the bead thing works on the edge – you paint it! Dumb **** 🙂

It’s amazing how cathartic it is actually sticking up plasterboard. It’s starting to look like a normal living room, that normal people have. This is a big deal. Some normality!

bearnecessities

Oh, and if anyone else is stupid enough to do this, these are the best things ever. £15 from b&q and they’re bloody brilliant.

bearnecessities

You see that spirit level? I simply wanted to share that I just stood on it and it flipped up and smacked me in the bollocks.

bearnecessities

Cock.

bearnecessities

Despite nearly being killed by a full sheet of plasterboard to the face that slipped from the props, I’m nearly there! *

*I’m aware this is a conversation with myself, but I’m just happy 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

Nah, I’m reading it too so you’re not talking to yourself. Good work. Are you skimming or getting someone in?

Cougar

How old’s the house, out of interest?

(Just wondering whether you’re going to have to tear it all out and redo it, is all. It’s probably nothing.)

bearnecessities

Heh, ta 🙂 Getting a man in to skim it – however I’ve got to board out the second bedroom and the spare bog/utility/bike room before that, so then he can just skim the whole lot in one go and I’ll have made mucho progress…that’s the plan anyhow.

jeffl

Good effort that. It’s amazing how much better a room looks after boarding it out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Very nice, I wish my fireplace was that big. I’ve ended up with a small Westfire Uniq35 4.5kw, any bigger would look silly.

granny_ring

Chuckling at your ‘accidents’ OP, very slapstick humour and right up my street.

B.A.Nana – nice hearth, slate? Where and how much? 🙂

jimob
    Free Member

You can get a plasterboard edge bead that wraps around the exposed edge of the plasterboard. That will give you a nice sharp line inside the fire place that the hardibacker board can butt up to. An edge bead is different from a stop bead and is designed to fit a 12.5mm plasterboard . Thats what I would use

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – nice hearth, slate? Where and how much?

Hi, Black limestone I think, Hoyland Dismantling just off M1 j36 Barnsley, cut to your dimensions whilst you wait. They have masses of sizes and types to choose from. I initially wanted rough finish which is cheaper, but came away with polished which cost £300 (mine was cut from a 2500 x 900 slab, pretty big). Sorting through the rough finish I didn’t find anything I really liked, if I was a bit more pushy I could have got them to crack open another crate, but I didn’t. My stove is modern contemporary, so figured it would all look ok with polished finish. From what I understand, you can buy some oil stuff to rub in and darken it, if you wish.

Builders have just started reinstating my flood damaged house (from Boxing day 2015), so yet to see how it all pans out. Insurance have handed the fireplace install over to me, They’re giving me £1500 for stove, hearth stone and stove installation, I’ve paid for all the flexi flue, chimney pot work. Builders will cement the hearth stone into place and do all the other cosmetic rendering/plastering fireplace stuff, well that’s my plan.

granny_ring

Think it’s better that you’ve gone for a polished finish. I’ve used 3 black sandstone slabs and the rough finish does show all the dirt easily.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any plastering/rendering folk in here?’ is closed to new replies.