Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any plasterers about?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Undergoing a long overdue redecoration and stripping all the old wallpaper which has been up and painted over for decades and we are going to get it all plastered. Much of it is on the ceiling, who the hell wallpapers a bloody ceiling Ffs!!?

Most of it I’ve done but the ceiling of the hall was covered by this embossed stuff, the paper came off but the plastic backing I can’t remove for love nor money. Can’t this be plastered over?

boxelder

New board and skim would only cost you 15mm in headroom?
    I’m sure a bonding coat plus skim would work too – like sh1t to a blanket that stuff.

singlesman
    Free Member

As above Loddrik, overboard and skim is the quickest, cleanest way to sort it. The heavy, embossed paper was presumably used to hide something pretty horrible.
    Don’t think any sensible plasterer would chance pva and skimming over that and bonding may or may not adhere but is quite messy and over- boarding would probably be just as quick.
    If doing it yourself and you don’t plaster you could always over-board then tape and fill the joints( easy fill) sand it down then paint straight onto the boards.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve got some papered ceilings. The only reason to paper a ceiling is to cover something up. Best solution is to overboard and skim which is what we’re doing room by room.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any plasterers about?’ is closed to new replies.