Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any Planners in? Heritage assessments.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

My old Dad lives in a near 600 year old house, in an edge of village setting, and that house has had uninterrupted views across open countryside for at least that time. A new development has been proposed which will come close to the house and so obliterate that view. I understand a Heritage Assessment takes into account historic buildings and their setting. I’m trying to find out if there are any rules that are applied when doing one. Is this sort of info publicly available?

Squirrel

I think the developer should have submitted a Heritage Impact Assessment as part of the Planning Application if it affects the setting of a Listed Building and it should be available on line.However, a view is generally discounted by the Planners so may not apply. Your Dad should have been notified of the application and given the opportunity to comment.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Squirrel. We’ve just got back from the developers exhibition and will be commenting in writing to them. I didn’t realise it was the developer that does the assessment, I thought it would be the local authority, so that’s useful to know!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hamishthecat

Assuming the 600 year old house is listed, which it must be unless it has been trashed in the past, then yes, there needs to be a settings assessment. Historic England published guidance on such assessments last year here.

The view from the building is not important per se, it is the setting of the asset that needs to be considered and which is a material consideration in determining the application.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Hamish, that document makes it all pretty clear and its great to have that to refer to when putting our arguments forward.

Squirrel

You need to comment to the Planning Authority, as they should take your comments into account when they determine the application.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any Planners in? Heritage assessments.’ is closed to new replies.