Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Any Photoshop Experts ABout
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

I took some photos at a wedding last weekend and a relation would like to use one of the photos for her business, the picture is of their B&B. She would just like me to change the colour of the roof as its slate and there are water lines down it. They cover half the roof so cant just spot heal. I’m a real beginner so advice please.
    Ta

Karl33to
    Free Member

Hard to say without seeing the pic, but if the water lines are just a different color one approach would be to first duplicate the base layer, make a rough selection around the roof using the lasso tool, then apply a layer mask to isolate it from the rest of the building.
    Then with the layer selected go to adjustments – hue and saturation, select the channel which best matches the colour of the water lines and either reduce their saturation or change their hue so they match the rest of the roof better, you may need to do this across a couple of colour channels to completely disguise them.
    If it looks OK you can then spend some time tidying up the layer mask.

If the water line are a different lightness, it’s going to be a bit harder, maybe using the clone tool in place of the hue and saturation.

rascal
    Free Member

Find a hi-res pic of a slate roof on Google images and comp it on over the one in the pic, on a separate layer.
    Distort if need be and layer mask it so you can remove edges where it meets chinmeys, neighbours roof etc.
    Play around with hue/saturation and levels to match the colour of the real roof.
    Should be quite easy.

pacef8
    Free Member

Do a proper clipping path of the roof, copy it to a new layer, selective colour/blur or copy it twice and see what you get in merging filters on the two layers.
    remember to not have the house layer linked.
    soften the masked edge flatten done.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Hi
    its this one if it helps with a solution
    house roof marks

allthegear
    Free Member

err – she wants to alter a picture of her B&B to advertise the business??

shuhockey
    Free Member

yes, watermarks on the roof is hardly going to effect the stay. but makes it look more appealing.. is that a problem for you. I know no one else has ever edited something to make it look nicer, but..
    Im just trying to do my auntie a favour.

bentandbroken

Try https://repixl.com/

Edit – Not mine, don’t work for them, not a relatives site etc etc etc

MrSmith
    Free Member

easy. magic wand selection with a tolerance of 10-20, refine edge and use the mask for whatever combination of HSB/curve/colour balance gets you a darker area with the correct colour. then flatten onto a copy of the background layer and use a soft edge brush in lighten/darken mode to even out the bits that stand out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

or give this company a call 😀

http://www.taylorjames.com/discipline-print

CountZero

err – she wants to alter a picture of her B&B to advertise the business??

I think the term is ‘tidy up’, not ‘alter’. I used to do this sort of thing all the time, especially with skies, where someone had taken a photo on an overcast day, so the sky was just white, so I’d select the sky, and looking through my collection of skies, find one that most closely matched angle of light, etc, drop it in and resize, etc. Just makes the scene as a whole look more cheerful. I’d clean up water marks, or rust stains from old metal work, too.
    Just makes a building look a little tidier, is all. Not mis-representing it.

DezB
    Free Member

Send the pic to Mrs Toast 🙂

pacef8
    Free Member
    29ers
    Free Member

Is this any good?

Sorry don’t like heights so had to lower the roof a bit
    Going to have the rest of the afternoon off now because of feeling giddy

Houns
    molgrips
    Free Member

so the sky was just white, so I’d select the sky, and looking through my collection of skies, find one that most closely matched angle of light, etc, drop it in and resize, etc

My most successful alteration was like that – trying to take pictures of birds, got a good one with a net in the background, but I’d also missed one completely so had a frame full of perfect blue sky. Sorted 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

To the op – picture is a bit gloomy.. can you brighten it up a bit?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Jamie to the thread please.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Here you go shuhockey:

😉

shuhockey
    Free Member

Hi
    I can brighten up a bit. (Thats something I can do, using a bit more exposure!) manged to make the roof a little better using color replace.
    bit brighter

Tried using a google image of slate but got lost!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Thanks J

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you go back and take another picture on a nice day?

franksinatra

not really a great photo though is it?

If you are going to all that effort to photoshop it I would consider ‘turning on the lights’ in the two rooms upstairs. They look odd being dark.

Proper laughing at 29er. Reminds me of this:

Lost cat clicky

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks J

Your welcome, I knew you’d be pleased 😆

plyphon
    Free Member

make a new layer

choose replace colour (image, adjustments, replace colour)

eyedrop the colour to replace

open the colour picker by clicking on the coloured square

adjust to taste

mask the image, remove everything else other than the changed bit of roof (the replace colour will likely change a whole bunch of other bits too)

voila!

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone else see Tom Baker in the downstairs window?? 😯

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’d level it horizontally too…currently the roof line and mid line of the house are not horizontal.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry wrong Dr., I meant Jon Pertwee

MrSmith
    Free Member

YHM.
    only gave it 10min though as the image is very fuzzy and small (was it a phone pic) any longer and i would have to charge.

wwaswas

🙂 @ DezB

shuhockey
    Free Member

with windows
    Shhh.. dont tell anyone its the same window x 3!

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, shuhockey. Another fountain in the garden would look nice too…

pacef8
    Free Member

][/img}

Still need taken properly .

shuhockey
    Free Member

Hi MrSmith has saved the day.
    Any chance of a brief how to (or which option above?)
    No it was a Sony A55 at 9pm in overcast conditions, wasnt really thinking but the auntie liked it.

Camera Sony SLT-A55V
    Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
    Aperture f/1.8
    Focal Length 50 mm
    ISO Speed 3200

shuhockey
    Free Member

Windows look better like that, lets have a go.

footflaps

If it’s for a website / brochure, then I’d just use this one as it looks nicer, so will get more people booking.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d stay there!

DezB
    Free Member

Nice ‘shop job there footflaps 🙂

Gnnr

Drac

Hahaha love photoshop threads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Any Photoshop Experts ABout’ is closed to new replies.