• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any PCSO's / Police on here ? Recruitment question ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

Our local force are Recruiting part time PCSO’s

Apart from the standard questions, there are sections on giving examples of when I have helped or provided support to people.

I’m absolutely rubbish at writing and expressing myself on paper, I know I can deal with situations so I’m asking for what the best examples at to put on the application form.

bruneep

Hobby bobby eh! They are a cheap workforce if there is a need employ a full time Police officer. Not someone that on paper can be used to massage officer numbers.

Anyway if you can’t do this part ,how are you going to cope writing statements, do you want others to do that for you?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

what he^^^ said.

geoffj

I’m absolutely rubbish at writing and expressing myself on paper

You did a better job than the two below you.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Yawn 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t volunteer for the job, Bruneep – helping the community obviously isn’t your strong point…

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m absolutely rubbish at writing and expressing myself on paper,

Why would that be a problem when writing up statements?

Anyway if you can’t do this part ,how are you going to cope writing statements, do you want others to do that for you?

bruneep – I really hope you are not a policeman! Self expression is the opposite of what is needed when taking a statement.

Simmy – you have nothing to lose, just think of what situations you have dealt with and write them down. Get someone to read what you have put and then redo it. Repeat until you are happy. Good Luck.

geoffj

Simmy, what do you do now? How do you help or support colleagues or customers at work? Any examples of helping folk out on the trails – mechanicals or first aid?
    As above, jot some things down and ask someone to read through it.

bruneep

So it would seem by your judgement of me.

I’ve given enough statements via work to know what is and isn’t required, some are very good and some I have to almost write it for them

Drac

What examples are you thinking of putting?

Bregante

Ignore the negativity Simmy. Good on you for wanting to do something to make a difference.

YGM

thegreatape
    Free Member

Simmy – whatever examples you are going to use, when you write about what happened, what you did etc., try and relate that to skills/characteristics that they have put in the job description. Can you post a link to the advert or tell us which force and I’ll have a quick look at it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t worry, you’re in Bolton, I’ll find it myself

thegreatape
    Free Member

Here we are

http://www.lancashire.police.uk/Content/UploadedImages/folder1/Part-time_PCSO_Spec_Oct_2014.pdf

Try and identify and write about your skills and experience that fits in with the Personal Qualities and Candidate Specification sections of that ^

Bregante

Bolton is covered by GMP (mostly)

Drac

Try and identify and write about your skills and experience that fits in with the Personal Qualities and Candidate Specification sections of that

Yup what he said.

rickmeister

STAR

Situation: What was going on
    Task: What you were doing
    Action: What contribution you made
    Result: What happened as a result of your Action.

Dont mention other people, or a team, its all about you…

Bregante

I’ve just emailed him almost those exact words rickmeister! 😀

Drac

Dont mention other people, or a team, its all about you…

Unless it’s asking about working as a team of course. In fact I’d even mention how you worked as a team anyway as it’s a pretty important part of Police work.

Esme
    Free Member

I thought “Hobby Bobbies” were Special Constables?

PCSOs are a really useful addition to a neighbourhood policing team. They stay in an area long-term, and build up relationships within the local community (like an old-fashioned village bobby). Why would you need a highly-trained police officer for that role?

Good luck with your application, Simmy!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bolton is covered by GMP (mostly)

Ah bollocks! No doubt simmy can find the GMP equivalent if necessary.

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the E Mails

Yeah it’s with Lancashire, i still reckon this part is Greater Manchester is Lancashire 😉

I’m a Driving Instructor at the Moment and I’m well busy but these posts are Part Time weekend work and will be a nice top up of money when the Driving School goes quiet.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any PCSO's / Police on here ? Recruitment question ?’ is closed to new replies.