Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any PC's out there for around the £300-350 mark?
  • getoutandride
    Free Member

I am after something for my daughter, to do work on and surf the net, watch youtube etc, what would people recommend? Any bargains to be had? Thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

Desktop or laptop? I’m guessing the latter?

Have a look at laptops direct, referbs look okay but I’ve never tried one myself, we buy a couple a month from them, they’re often cheaper than our trade supplier.

mattyfez

Do you need the whole shebang, monitor keyboard etc, or just the base unit?

Cougar

I am after something for my daughter, to do work on and surf the net, watch youtube etc, what would people recommend?

You’d have to try really hard to find a PC that didn’t meet those exhausting requirements.

Stick with an established brand. Lenovo are good for build quality; Dell Outlet often have some bargains on.

Edukator
    Free Member

I buy refurbs. A local shop buys up pro stuff from companies without hard drives then fits an SDD drive and sells them at just over half of new price. I got an i5 touch-screen 256 SDD laptop suitable for junior’s music composing and mixing (a hundred or so tracks running simultaneously) for 5OOe and a basic HP tower with an i3 256 SDD HDMI etc for 300e (that one had a normal hard drive in when the guy got it so he put that in a box to use as an external hard drive for free).

Edit: if you buy a Lenovo laptap I suggest doing a clean install of W10 from new. Mine was inexplicably slow from new but after a clean install it’s up to normal speed. I put it down to all the unnecessary crap that’s in the original package.

getoutandride
    Free Member

Ah yeh good point! EDIT…. Laptop….

I have a Mac, much as I love her she is not getting one, not up to speed on the ‘other’ end of the market… 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

What kind of work?

Simple stuff, then maybe a tablet will do.

Desktop would likely be untrendy and restricting her to sat at a desk. I’m betting she’d want to be portable, so a laptop or tablet really.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve had a fairly basic Lenovo i3 for four years. I’ve not really been careful with it, and it’s been solid. Would recommend a format and fresh install of windows 10 though. Think I got it from dabs.com.

mattyfez

I’d go for a laptop rather than a tablet, it’ll be easier if they need to use it for school etc, word excel etc.
    The spec is largely irrelevant if it’s for Facebook, Internet, homework, watching video.

A good second hand or refurbished one will get you more for your money.

For example a Dell vostro i5 with 4gb ram or something similar.
    You probably won’t get one with a decent size SSD hard drive, though, whatever drive it has make sure it’s a minimum of 120gb.

Cougar

You don’t need an SSD to watch YouTube and fanny about with Word.

sargey2003

I’ve been impressed with a Chromebook (Acer) that folds into a tablet – might be worth considering

Cougar

Nah, she needs to do work on it. (-:

getoutandride
    Free Member

Nope deffo laptop – offered her an iPad and she wants to be able to work on it – off to uni this year….

I’ve got a spare external drive so not worried about hard drive size. SSD is worlds apart from spinning drive but can I get one in a laptop sub £350?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any PC's out there for around the £300-350 mark?’ is closed to new replies.