Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any party wall surveyors in…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…having a loft conversion done in the next few months, planning etc all okay.

Having to use a party wall surveyor for both sides (terrace house) the PWS has flagged up the calculations stating that they have been carried out by the same person that provided the drawings (this is true) he states that calculations must have name/company that is affiliated by a professional body. I have spoken to the drawing guy and he says he uses someone to do the calculations and will provide all details tomorrow to the PWS.

1. Is the PWS correct ?

2.Have i been stitched up by the drawings guy ?

3. Hows it work with online companies that provide the calculations – are these recognised by PWS ? (not doing this btw)

worst case is I will have to get a structural engineer to do calculations…which I dont want to do as it will cost !

Thanks in advance

Squirrel

Presumably Building Control have seen and are happy with the calcs? Then the PWS should be too 8)

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Before any work can start need to have a PW agreement in place, building control next on list.i asked the building control guy – he implied that PWS was right but I guess he’s covering himself as well. Ie he may want the calcs to be signed etc.

linchpin
    Free Member

My understanding is that anyone competent can do the calcs but they must have the appropriate insurance in place. Your drawing guy probably subs it to an engineer. If he doesn’t then he’s a dick.

Squirrel

Not strictly correct. No work covered by the Party Wall Act can start…. 😉

linchpin
    Free Member

Yes Squirrel is right. Frankly it’s nothing to do with the PWS whether the other designers are a member of a professional body. If that’s his reason for advising the neighbour not to sign then he’s being unreasonable and you could take him to a 3rd surveyor, but it doesn’t sound as if it’s gone that far yet..

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

He hasn’t written it up yet he’s getting all info together, and this is what he pointed out to me – my neighbours don’t have this information !

He doesn’t want to put his name to building calculations that can’t be varifyed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

bump !

Squirrel

FWIW I am actually a PWS. Apologies. Is your PWS acting just for you or as Agreed Surveyor for you and your neighbours? If the neighbours have appointed their own PWS is he/she kicking up about the calcs? I stand by what I said above about B. Control. If your neighbours have appointed their own Surveyor(s) there should be a Third Surveyor you can appeal to if your PWS won’t give way on it, but the Third Surveyor will charge a fee (possibly for your PWS to pay if the Third Surveyor thinks your PWS is being unreasonable).

Having said all that, depending on what the person who did the calcs comes up with, you could ask a qualified Structural Engineer to check the calcs (at a, hopefully small, cost). That really should satisfy your PWS unless he is a complete arse 😕

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

He’s acting for both my neighbours- but he’s someone I know ( through work) he’ll be the only PWS neither of my neighbours have wind of this cock up yet…

So far the person who provided the calculations hasn’t answered any calls emails to either of us today…me thinks I got bent over a barrel!

Good idea re having another structural engineer to look over calcs…

Where are you based out of interest???

Squirrel

South Buckinghamshire. Office in West London. I really would get your full plans application in to B Control and see what they think. Might be a few weeks before you get a response though.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’m in N London…
    Using an independent Building inspector- he’s putting in to my local council

Squirrel

Another thought. Ask your PWS if he can get the calcs checked and what would it cost? He’s very likely to know someone who could do that.

project
    Free Member

Question about lofts etc, got a call a few days ago from a chap who wanted his loft boarding out, standard stuff, then he mentioned all the joists need strengthening and also a suspended internal ceiling. I turned the work down as we dont do that sort of work.

Question as he is probably making it into a habitable room would building control need to be involved, along with loading of floors and walls be required,due to the extra weight on floor joists, im aware of all the fire safety stuff that needs to be adhered to also.

Squirrel

Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any party wall surveyors in…’ is closed to new replies.