Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any other ss cx disc 'guard frames?
  • D0NK

And for added moon-on-stick-ability split dropouts for possible belt drive upgrade later on.

So far without going silly money custom or boutique I’ve only seen pompetamine and cotic and day one (don’t do frame only?) Pompy seem to have clearance issues for guards and 6bolt discs and TBH was looking for something a little more refined and lighter without going silly money. Cotic I’ve seen mixed reports saying wibbly back ends, I’m >13stone, will it feel all noodly?

Comments on the above or other suggestions please

ourmaninthenorth

P-X Uncle John with different forks.

EDIT: sorry, missed the SS bit. Well, you could run it SS, but it wouldn’t be pretty….

D0NK

bump for the morning crowd

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure about the belt drive, but the Kaffenback?

Surely something by Surly?

jonba
    Free Member

salsa maybe?

MrSparkle

Bloody hell Dave, moon on a stick? ;0)

oxym0r0n

Look at Gunnar?

Edit: don’t think they do an SS

D0NK

Would appear surly don’t do sscx disc
    Kaffenbach is a slightly more versatile/complicated version of Pompetamine

Will check salsa

Yeah im fussy as ever mr S but I did admit that in op 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Back end of my cotic x seems steady to me, i’m 14st

D0NK

Never heard of Gunnar, look nice, bit out of my price range and lookalike I’d have to ask for disc tabs as extra, mucho cash.

Salsa also don’t seem to have disc sscx

D0NK

You wholeheartedly recommend Cotic then RD? Is it a Proper cx frame or Is it more road based? Hadn’t realised they were so cheap

rOcKeTdOg

Its no light weight race frame, but if u want it for messing about off road or commuting its a fun, non twitchy steering comfy ride, done 100 mile rides and commute on mine. Mine is a 58cm so if any size was gonna be noodly it’d be that

drofluf
    Free Member

Singular Peregrine? I’ve had ‘guards and a rack in mine or you can run fat tyres (well fatter 🙂 ) as well – I’ve got 2.2″ ish tyres on mine at the moment.

rOcKeTdOg
    sillyoldman

What size are you after? Local dealer to me has a Day 1 disc frame only – either a 56 or 58cm.

D0NK

58cm sillyoldman, ygm
    Cheers RD
    drofluf peregrine eh? proper old school look, I like it, I’m a bit sceptical of EBBs but they’re out of stock til feb/mar anyway.

boblo
    Free Member

Day One doesn’t have a split seat stay and tyres limited to 28mm if you want guards on.

D0NK

boblo yeah very very few do have split stays, that was kinda wishful thinking. Interested in what you say about guards, is that real world experience? coz genesis say With the standard 700x35C Continental Speed king Cross Tyre we’ve fitted a set of SKS_P50_Chromoplastic full length guards, with good results. here wonder if 35s do technically fit but you wouldn’t want to ride with fag paper clearance

boblo
    Free Member

That’s about it D0nk.

I’ve just been struggling with this very problem. Tried Marathon XR 37’s, much too big. Tried Panaracer Pasela 32’s (real 32’s not the older undersized ones), too big and the Speed King Slightly Annoyed’s (bit like Cross’s but a bit less so 🙂 ) it comes with just about fit under a mudguard but a) they are small for 35’s and b) woe betide you if you get any mud in there to guard against.

I went with Marathon 28’s in the end. Bit annoying as I wanted to use it with ice spikes in the winter and there’s no way a 35mm ice tyre is going to fit in there with a mudguard.

D0NK

cheers for the info boblo, damn just noticed land cruiser (which several on here recommended) don’t come in 28c, only do 35+

how are your marathons in mud?

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, not brilliant. They are more road/commuter than mud fest. However, I use mine on a filthy local bridlepath and they manage that OK.

D0NK

Filthy bridlepath would be a pretty good description of my (intended) commute, twisty singletrack with a bit of off camber action, not deep mud or extreme trails but do need some grip

Wookster

There is a SS Gunnar frame alright mate, cracking bikes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any other ss cx disc 'guard frames?’ is closed to new replies.