Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Any other aspiring (or published) authors on here?
  • spacemonkey

Not sure I subscribe to the adage “Everyone has a book in them” … but either way, I am convinced that there are quite a few ‘in me’.

Aside from the all the efforts I dabbled with years ago, there is one particular ‘young adult’ novel that I started in 2004 that is still a work in progress. Must’ve written about a million words in total (story + notes + research etc) I reckon, and tried loads of different writing apps. Had rejections from 4-5 agents back in 05/06, but wasn’t bothered by that in the slightest. Currently taking some annual leave so I can get the next phase done. Aiming to send out the next sample in May.

So, anyone else either in the midst of writing or thinking about it?

Using: Mac/Scrivener 2.0

molgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Grips to the forum please…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STW’s very own Shamen Simon to the forum, please.

samuri
    Free Member

Kindle is your friend here. See how many people have managed to become well known, published authors, entirely for free with no publishers getting involved. You’ll not make much money mind unless you sell tens of thousands of copies but I expect that’s the case for paper books too.

you could publish some small stories to Kindle first to get your name known and to establish a fan base and then go for your paper book later.

Hope this helps.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I thought I heard Mol…

I’m currently writing something too…but not ever finished anything enough that I would have sent it off to an agent.
    I’ve recently started using Scrivener too (but the Windows beta) and find it helps.
    I know 2 self published authors and one has done the kindle/-ebook route too. She twitters, blogs and FB’s about her writing too and so has quite a following.

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 published, with nice advances. Success is not down to talent, but making enough people aware that your book exists. I’d definitely go down the eBook route in future, then if it’s good enough it’ll be picked up by paper publishers.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Yes: one monograph; one co-edited collection of essays; a dozen or so journal articles and bits of journalism and more reviews than I can quite remember. But I’m a historian so I guess all that is part of the job.

SaxonRider

Ditto Mattie_H, save that I haven’t edited others’ essay for a volume; only written essays for others to edit.

I assume you’re at a university, Mattie_H?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m banking on Mrs Grips to fund me quitting my job. No pressure honey 🙂

spacemonkey

Hmm, hadn’t thought of the Kindle route before … that’s good thinking. Will definitely check it out if nothing comes from approaching any agents.

Although I still don’t yet have anything anywhere near complete, I had thought that using Lulu to get some hard copies out in the field might be an idea. Like iDave says, the marketing aspect is key if you’re going to go it alone – so hopefully my background will come into play if I have to go down that route.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, all non-fiction. Latest goes into the shops on Saturday in fact. I’ve also written about a dozen travel guides. Not a lot of money in it these days…

In your genre, I’d definitely be looking at self-publishing. It’s lost the stigma of ‘vanity publishing’ and if you can market yourself and your book successfully online then at no other point in history have there been greater opportunities. For inspiration, read up on Amanda Hocking (also young adult fiction) and start planning your retirement on a Caribbean island 😉

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Hocking

http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/

spacemonkey

I’m banking on Mrs Grips to fund me quitting my job. No pressure honey

So is my missus. She’s forever saying “… when you get your book sorted …”

grievoustim
    Free Member

I dabble with screenplays – but I am lazy

my workrate is currently one per decade (sort of)

90s tick
    00s fail
    10s working on it

corroded
    Free Member

Another point: before you send anything out, get it looked over by an editor. Not only should they pick up major or minor errors but they may also make useful suggestions about structure etc.

noteeth
    Free Member

One day…

Mind you, think of all the great books that were never really recognised within the author’s lifetime (e.g. Moby Dick). I don’t mean this as discouragement – just that the satisfaction of good writing for its own sake is a worthy goal…. and that good will out (eventually).

molgrips
    Free Member

before you send anything out, get it looked over by an editor

Unless you’re Jacqueline Howett. Then you can ALL JUST F*** OFF!

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

I have published quite a few tomes but its all technical scientific stuff. No problems with getting it published – the publisher asked me to write it (no way would I choose to inflict it on anyone!) as a recognised expert in the field. I got paid a fixed fee for writing so no royalties and definitely not riches!
    Always dream about writing non-fiction but think its probably who-you-know that leads to success.

spacemonkey

Aye, there is a certain romanticism about being published – well, there is for me anyway. It’s just a matter of converting that into substance. TBH, one of my main drivers is being able to make enough to support lots of charity/NfP/community projects – especially those that focus on young people. I’m not going to get on my soapbox about it, but I really want to make a difference.

Editors? Hmm, have only had dealings with a couple of those – both through so-called friends of friends. The same with agents. Nothing valuable came of any discussion whatsoever. But I’ve no issue with that – just need to get my next phase sorted and give it another shot.

samuri
    Free Member

With my kindle book, I sold virtually all the copies that have been sold in the first week because I pushed it on various forums, facebook, blogs etc. After that there’s been only one or two copies a week so either word has got round about the quality or it’s all about the marketing.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ Saxonrider

That’s right – lecturer in modern British history by day. You?

molgrips
    Free Member

How modern is modern Mattie?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

19th and 20th centuries for my teaching – my research is all first half of the 20th though.

SaxonRider

@ Mattie_H

Research fellow in late antique/early medieval history. Working in the realm of Byzantine historiography at the moment.

Oh wait. No I’m not. I’m – yet again – allowing STW to get in the way. I’d be a famous scholar if it wasn’t for this place.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love history…

SaxonRider

molgrips – Member
    I love history…

That’s pretty broad. Any particular eras?

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm….. mostly dark ages at the moment, actually. But it does vary 🙂 Also early American.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ SaxonRider

That sounds like the serious stuff! How’s your codicology? 😉

Do you know Chris Wickham btw?

SaxonRider

@ Mattie_H

I wish I could say that my codicology was up to something, along with my paleography; alas I am more of an ‘intellectual historian’, insofar as I spend my time deciphering texts for meaning and context. I love manuscripts themselves, though. There is nothing like coming face to face with 8th century vellum. 8)

As for Chris Wickham, I am sure I have come across his name in one of the societies I belong to, but you will know what it’s like when fields don’t quite converge…. He’s Italy. I’m Byzantium and Insular Latin.

DavidB
    Free Member

I left my job to have a bloody good crack at it, story is here, read that lot and you’ll understand that I’ve made a huge great mistake.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve had four articles published in STW, does that count?

sharki
    Free Member

I’m part way through writing a book based on my wander last year.

I think it’s all a bit long winded, but those that have read it so far urge me to not change it.

Publishing it as a blog at the moment as it usually motivates me to keep writing, though right now not feeling the words flow too well.

IanMunro
    Free Member
    spacemonkey

I left my job to have a bloody good crack at it, story is here, read that lot and you’ll understand that I’ve made a huge great mistake.

That’s an interesting blog you’ve got there Dave 🙂 And sounds like you’ve got your work cut out if you’re going to write two books instead of one! FTR, I jacked in my job too – and here I am nearly 7 years later still wondering when I’m going to get the fooking thing finished.

spacemonkey

That is quality 😀

“Don and Katy watched hypnotically Gino place more coffees out at another table with supreme balance.”

😆

DavidB
    Free Member

spacemonkey – key is to be really focused. Couldn’t give a shit if I don’t make the Times bestseller list..just need to get the fecker done! I now work harder than I did when I was paid.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ SaxonRider

I think I just made the classic modernist’s assumption that all you early medievalists are the same!

1920s culture for me now — subjectivity and mass culture.

simonralli2
    Free Member

STW’s very own Shamen Simon to the forum, please.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/5571350851/]Front Cover[/url] by simon ralli, on Flickr

This is what I have been working on these last few months 🙂 I was also in the recording studio last night recording a shamanic drumming CD which will accompany the book:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/5580860736/]Album cover 5[/url] by simon ralli, on Flickr

“Describes a unique odyssey through the many worlds of shamanism, filled with telling and important details of their healing paths. The author has had a wealth of personal experience, and, even more importantly, he has thought deeply about what those experiences mean, both for him and for us.”

Stephan V. Beyer, author of Singing to the Plants: A Guide to Mestizo Shamanism in the Upper Amazon

“This book takes us on a journey into the very heart and soul of nature – to a vivid realm where the powerful creative intelligences of the universe conjure up the powerful concoctions known to us as ‘matter’, ‘consciousness’ and ‘nature’. Read this book and discover possibilities for re-ensouling nature that are so urgently needed in this time of global crisis.”

Dr Stephan Harding, Head of Holistic Science at Schumacher College, author of Animate Earth: Science, Intuition and Gaia

http://www.facebook.com/theshamanandsnowwhite

I did have a novel published a few years ago but the publisher, which was very small, decided to end that line of their business.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Any other aspiring (or published) authors on here?’ is closed to new replies.