Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any opticians?
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Had an eye test yesterday and I need some glasses

I was, frankly, overwhelmed by the choice of frames. Without the Mrs with me to advise I left having chosen nothing

I just don’t know where to start in terms of size, shape and so on

Surely there must be some rules \ guidelines?

I’ve a fairly narrow face, angular rather than rounded and a hairline considerably higher than it used to be (which obvs accentuates the length and narrowness)

Any pointers as to where to start?

Also any pointers \ advice for prescription riding glasses at a sensible price?

thehustler
    Free Member

This is a general guide, but best thing really is go into the opticians and try some on

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Thanks hustler

Understood I need to try them – just looking for a starting point

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sons an optician and I have glasses. You just try on as many as you like and then choose.

The guy that serves you is qualified to fit the glasses to the frames the frames to your face adjust etc. Nothing to think about except how you look.

Only need mine for reading so no idea about MTB. If you don’t need them for driving then Id guess you don’t need them for MTB IMHO.

The look is up to you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Without the Mrs with me to advise I left having chosen nothing

😯 😯

Is this what happens???

I’m *never* getting married!

geoffj

Contact lenses?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’ve used contacts before. Never really nailed them – and I won’t wear them daily. Probably the solution for sport though

flashinthepan
    Free Member

@ Rob Hilton

Least of your worries re getting married

RobHilton
    Free Member

@ Rob Hilton

Least of your worries re getting married

The implication was the handing-over of your testicles will to make a decision for yourself. :mrgreen:

giantalkali
    Free Member

What sort of opticians doesn’t offer a first time wearer some sort of advice? They don’t deserve you, go elsewhere with a good wide range and try everything on. There’s not a good hard and fast rule to choosing, as fashion dictates as much as face shape. The chart posted above recommended oval frames, what is this? 1994?

Listen to the dispensing optician in the store, they don’t know you or your style so will give a neutral and unbiased opinion, if you think you look like a **** then tell them, if they’re any good they’ll be able to quickly narrow down the massive range into a handful of suitable styles.

Specsavers usually have a decent range at sensible prices, vision express are similar but offer brand names if that means anything to you, boots are hit and miss in their stock ranges, independents should offer you plenty but generally at a price.

Don’t decide against a frame until you’ve tried it on.

Have a budget in mind

Don’t rush

Ask them to keep stuff aside for an hour while you get a coffee

Buy an anti-reflection coating, those who tell you otherwise are wrong.

Good luck

IAADO

slowoldman

Try some on and pick the ones you like the look of.

The chart posted above recommended oval frames, what is this? 1994?

Is that an issue? I have oval rimless. Is that why I’m not getting the girls?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

giantalkali – thanks

Think you nailed it there. I was just left to choose from a range of several hundred frames and just didn’t know where to start. I tried on loads but it would have been helpful just to have someone to say ‘those are too wide’, ‘those obscure your eyebrows’, etc

I’ll try somewhere else this weekend and take the Mrs – not to choose (as seemed to be assumed above), but to offer a second opinion and ensure I don’t buy some clown glasses

vickypea
    Free Member

I struggle to get glasses that suit me as I have a small face but the staff at Boots and Vision Express weren’t interested, and even suggested various frame that any idiot could see were way too wide since they were massively wider than my face.
    Specsavers were much more helpful and had a better range of styles.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a bloody nightmare.

Glad I wear contacts now!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

vickypea

I was at Boots and had exactly the same experience. Had a look at Specsavers website and their range looks pretty good and surprisingly cheap. They also have an online ‘virtual try on’ using your webcam (no I’m not posting pics). I shall go at the weekend.

molgrips
    I’ve had a minor prescription for a few years and have worn (daily) contacts occasionally for cycling, cinema, etc. But I struggle to wear them all day. My prescription is now such that I’ll need glasses for driving and so on but I’ll continue to wear contacts for cycling

eltonerino
    Free Member

I’ve had good luck with vision express. I’ve got a narrow face so have to look at their “young adult” range to get anything to fit.

My problem with buying glasses is that I need glasses to see what I look like.

funkrodent

All good advice. Bear in mind that the fit is very important. The position of your eyes in relation to the lenses is critical. A good optician should advise you on that. Also glasses have radically different widths. Too narrow and they’ll pinch the side of your head, too wide and you’ll look like brains. The bridge is also important, in relation to how well they sit on your nose. All this before the diktats of fashion and style, but any decent optician should be advising you on the above as a matter of course

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

My problem with buying glasses is that I need glasses to see what I look like.

Any decent optician will use an I-pad to take a photo of you wearing the “new” glasses so you can view the pic with your old ones.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Take advice from assistant. Find several pairs that seem ok ish. Take selfies, make sure you are in decent light and smile, don’t be self conscious. Now go get that coffee, look at your gormless photos and make a decision.

Or post your selfies on here and we can tell you, but don’t listen to slowoldman, he’s wearing oval rimless specs.

And get an anti reflection coating

slowoldman

but don’t listen to slowoldman, he’s wearing oval rimless specs.

Only because everything else looks like they were made by Pilkington’s from beer bottle bottoms on me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any opticians?’ is closed to new replies.