Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any opinions: turner sultan v intense tracer 29er FSs? (26er opinions also pls)
  • big_scot_nanny

Afternoon all,

Am loving my chumba, but as rides get longer, rockier and more technical, I feel the need to add a full squish. I am totally sold on the 29er thang, so don’t fancy going back to 26ers, and I will keep the chumba HX2 for fun stuff and other rides. I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 frames, Any opinions on turner DW sultan V Intense Tracer?

Any 26er opinions on this also appreciated.

Prob running with a 120mm fork, and want to know really 3things:
    1) stiffness ( I big and heavy 19st and 6’4″)
    2) stock shock performance
    3) slAck enough for scary downs? (this is the one thing that may make me consider a 26er)

All input greatly appreciated!

Kev

ton

Kev,listen to a bloke who has been down the track you are heading 😉

tried a sultan, too flexy, tried a fisher fs 29r, too flexy and steep angled
    bought a ventana el capitan 29r……..the only fs 29r that is truly suitable for a big heavy bloke.

i run mine with 120mm bolt thru fork and with the rp23 shock it is more than capable of any trails i ever try to ride.

big_scot_nanny

Ton, I had a feeling you might chip in! You have said that the el’cap is a belter, but, and I Wally mean no offence, it doesn’t grab me in the looks department. Now, this is no basis for bike choice, however I do want to look at my bikes and just Want to ride them.

Did you get it straight for, the US?

Clink, you know, I had forgotten about the lenz. Seems an old design? Have you been on one? Anyone here been on one?

Thanks for input so far!

Kev

Clink

Clink, you know, I had forgotten about the lenz. Seems an old design? Have you been on one? Anyone here been on one?

Never been on one – try bonesetter off this forum though – he has/had one.

ton

Kev, i bought mine from riverside cycles in maldon.

this bike is so good that in the 2 years i have owned it i have owned 7 other bikes/frames, and sold them all on.
    non of them come near it in terms of comfort, control and performance for a big bloke.

ajr
    Free Member

Riverside Cycle Centre, Uk Ventana distributor, riversidecycles@hotmail.com, 01621 858240. New website under construction after it was hacked and destroyed.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Niner do some FS’s too

Not tried any of the FS’s myself though
    I think Stiff and Chevin stock one or two of them

big_scot_nanny

Ooh, ****, I really need to get out and ride some of these and see which is best. 😕

Niner RIP9 is a bit steep in the HA. I have actually had a go on one and it was steeper than the current chumba, and by jings you noticed it if the trail got steep and techy. Can anyone say “whooooooops” over the bars? 😆

Ton, you aren’t going to be anywhere near Glasgow/Edinburgh this Christmas are you? We’re heading back for Crimbo.

In fact, anyone else with a big FS 29er in that area prepared to let me have a spin?

You can have my smallest child as insurance. No really, you can have her. She’s three years old and dead easy going. honest! 😈

I was sooooo taken by the tracer, geometry all seems about right for me n’all, and the black one is lush! 😳

Kev

TooTall
    Free Member

Turner Sultan in XXL and currently down to 240lbs myself. No issues with flex anywhere on the Sultan – it is the DW link version with DT Swiss ratchet QR on the back and Fox bolt-thru forks. It survives my clumsy lardcore style with ease. Never heard of anyone else with flex problems either. Shock is man enough too. 29ers can cope with scary downs – not in a slack DH way, but the Sultan was made as a ’29er 5 Spot’ so that sort of bracket.

If you get down to Bristol at all, more than welcome to try it. Get on the mtbr.com forums for other ideas inc the Lenz Lunchbox.

higgo
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Tall Boy?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The Sultan is NOT flexy!.

However, the noodly Reba team maxle attached to the front of mine is.

ton

the sultan was flexy with me on board……….. 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

That was just the suspension working Ton 😛

ton

😆

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Foes do a nice looking 29er, if their other bikes are anything to go by should be stiff, they aint cheap though.

big_scot_nanny

bigdugsbaws – Member
    That was just the suspension working Ton

😆

Sultan just seems a bit BMW 530d – nice, but awfully competent and dull. Sorry! (surfer mat to the forum!) is that fair? or will it blow me away?

Foes—- how much!?!?!? 😯 , wow! bit short also? bit like thier AM bikes, I need something hard hitting-ish, but also ride all day ability. make sense?

can no-one say anything positive about the intense? 🙂

Kev

big_scot_nanny

Ooh, hang on, had another look a the Foes and the ETT is spot on for me (I have shortish legs). WANT! But my goodness it is pricey.

Looks fabulous in black, and that shock seems an absolute ripper!

Nice!

Kev

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a 22″ Salsa Big Mama which i love. 15/16st and no noticeable problems with flex. They also have a new FS bike out now but i can’t remember the name.

Bonesetter sold his Lenz, he didn’t think all that much of it and to be honest it looked like a gawdy Halfords special despite being pretty expensive.

I never liked the look of the Turner Sultan myself but i’ve heard it is a good bike. I also looked at the Ventana as well but think it’s pretty ugly, although again, supposedly a very capable bike.

More and more are coming to the market now but many are still aimed at the US and you’d have to import them. Giant, Rocky Mountain, Kona, Specialized, Salsa, Niner, Trek, Ventana, Lenz, Turner, Santa Cruz….. the list is getting bigger.

ton

that foes is a cracking looking bike, i priced one last year prior to price hikes…it was a bit too dear then.

and my ventana is very ugly……..like me. 8)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I think you would be blown away by the Sultan, I flogged my DW 5 Spot as it was so similar!

If you can wait and want something different look here: Banshee/Mythic Prime

big_scot_nanny

LOL ton! 😆

By your logic I should be on Singular Pegasus, seeing as how I am dead handsome and that… Form and orderly queue ladies! 😯

Notice steamed up glasses and visor smashed off cheap helmet. Nice!

Was genuinely trying to navigate with my iPhone. Not good. 🙄

Kev

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any opinions: turner sultan v intense tracer 29er FSs? (26er opinions also pls)’ is closed to new replies.