Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Openreach (VDSL) installers in here?
  • RicB

About to order BT Infinity (still have 6 months left on BT ADSL contract so has to be with BT).

Master NTE socket is installed in a stupid location (as always) and there’s no way I’ll be able to connect the modem to it (nearest mains plug socket is miles away for starters). I want to use the existing phone extension socket under the stairs because thats where my NAS drive, CAT5e patch panel etc live

Now, it’s a new-build house and the electricians have helpfully used CAT5 to wire the phones. I figure I have 2 options:

1. Use an unused pair of CAT5 wires to relocate the VDSL service from the NTE master to the understairs cupboard, and replace the phone socket extension faceplate with a RJ 45 faceplate.

2. Ask the engineer to move the NTE master to the understairs location. This seems to be pot-luck depending on the engineer.

Any practical tips (ideally based on at least a tiny bit of experience!)?

thehustler
    Free Member

not an engineer but……I have my modem setup by the master socket, but router via home hubs st up in lounge works fine

Flaperon

Didn’t have any problem when I asked Openreach to move my master socket. However, my suggestion is that you go with your second option. The VDSL faceplate has, as I’m pretty sure you know, two krone connectors to let you take the VDSL signal to another socket. I’d do that, especially since the wiring is already CAT5.

phead
    Free Member

Just make it easy for the engineer. Provide wiring to a backbox where ever you want it, and he will crimp the master socket and use the new one.

Or just do self install and do it yourself.

RicB

No mains socket near modem so Homeplugs not a great option

Phead- I thought self install hadn’t been rolled out yet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Openreach (VDSL) installers in here?’ is closed to new replies.