• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Any one use sky broadband ?
  • Need to get a line into our rented house for a year
    And BT can not sort it until 17 jan !
    Sky can do it this week !
    Have you had a good sevice from them and is there product any good compared to bt etc !!
    It will be the basic BB + line rental (as don’t stream films etc)

Look forward to any replies

IHN

We’ve had it about a year, installation was fine, service has been fine. It’s been fine.

Not a lot else to say really.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve had no problem as i’m <2 miles from the exchange, my mate lives 4+ miles and gets naff all bandwidth.
    My sky line rental and broadband is cheaper than BT but was installed by a BT engineer on behalf of sky so makes little difference apart from price

PiknMix
    Free Member

yeah we have it, as above it’s fine. The router needs a frequent reeboot but then most do.

jfletch
    Free Member

Yep – Line fine – Service fine – Free router a bit shit.

DezB
    Free Member

And BT can not sort it until 17 jan !
    Sky can do it this week !

Er, are you sure?? BT do the lines for Sky, so their schedule is usually the same.
    Had the same issue with mine, so got Virgin to do it as they could install in a week.

Sky broadband is pretty good IME.

Dezd
    ‘That’s what bt told me as well ‘

Thanks to all for advice and will give them a go !

DezB
    Free Member

I suspect an engineer will turn up to fit your satellite dish and tell you the phone engineer will be along in January 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

IME, Sky’s initial estimate is for when they will be able to tell you that they won’t be able to do it until next month at the earliest.

EDIT – to be fair though, once it’s in it does work. Support lines are poor, so it’s fortunate that we haven’t had to use them much

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sky pay BT for the installation and pay them more than BT pay themselves so often jump the queue to BT customers, therefore you may get it sooner.

Would suggest a dongle in the meantime or use one of Skys Cloud WiFi free service (if you can find one, theres an app for it.

Routers a bit weak, needs rebooting once a fortnight or so but it’s adequate.

CHeck Skys accounts as they are notoriously bad with billing issues.

jota180
    Free Member

Sounds about right

As above, you still need BT to come out, lines that I ordered 5/11 are going in today and Monday.
    ADSL activation currently has a 2 week lead time, so the line install date will be the live date

RoterStern
    Free Member

I sorted out a Sky package for my folks so they can skype the grandchildren hear in Germany. They also get ‘free’ calls to Germany included in the flat rate. So far they have been happy with the service.

MrNutt
    Free Member

DO NOT GO WITH SKY IF YOU ARE IN A NON-SKY BROADBAND AREA.

just go with BT Vision, they won’t be jumping the queue, its what Dez says.

just don’t do it, trust me on this!! just go with BT.

RustyMac

I switched from BT to Sky and feel i get a better speed and service from them. Had a terrible time with BT. In Aberdeen both Sky and BT use BT Openreach to install the phone lines.

althepal

You mean where the exchange doesnt belong to Sky?
    Had ours for a few years.. Had it for a coupla years then started having problems- turns out we had always had a rubbish speed- only realised when we had an IT bod mate come to do some basic checks. Had about 4 engineers out- ended up with new wires from the telegraph pole to the socket (open reach engineers, no charge) but we’re still having probs. eventually the exchange was swapped to a sky one and the issue was resolved. 10 times faster, and the price went down cos it was a sky exchange so happy days.
    Sky customer service is crap though- every call goes through the basic call centre who aren’t based in this country, there’s no direct way to contact the complaints team- you have to fill out a form online and wait for them to get back to you (also not in this country) and all in took about 6 months to sort the problems and get our complaint dealt with. We did get a further discount for 6 months so although it was a major pita at least it was sorted out eventually.
    We can’t get virgin in our area so sky was our only real option for all three..

thehustler
    Free Member

Had sky broadband for years with no issues (other than the crappy conection everyone in our village gets) good news their version of infinity has just opened up to us and being fitted monday so all should be rigght with the world soon 🙂

kimbers

can you get bt infinity
    very much worth it if you can, im not sure if sky offer fibre optic?
    BT router is excellent and loadsa bandwidth

DezB
    Free Member

Kimbers, yesterday

kimbers

id let those spanish chicas use my wifi anyday

Looks like they are ;using it; when that pic was took !

Need a line to get any broadband 1st and thats the main problem with BT .
    Just had sky fit a new dish and put in a new box as well for free ( old one playing up)
    and happy with there sevice / came on time and left with a working box .

So let’s hope the same thing happens with our phone line / broadband
    Seems to be more positive than negative out there .

Thanks again to all that replied .

Kryton57

We’ve had it about a year, installation was fine, service has been fine. It’s been fine.

Not a lot else to say really.

What he said. The BT engineer that came was the most miserable Git ever, took 2 hours of moping to connect the wires. The Sky guys turned up and did the connections/dish etc in 20 mins, all good.

Only issue is, I’m 6m from an exchange so only get 2mbs

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have sky. its ok, you can always get through to a uk call centre if you need to. my b’band has been a bit woefully slow the last month, in their credit they do try to sort it, but i think the superfast b’band box bt installed outside my house is a part of the prob as the slowness began as soon as they powered it up.

i’ve also had talktalk, never ever again, and plus net, ok but slower than sky – maybe i should say that 1.1kbps is a really good connection for us.

hate to say, BT when i’ve been with them has always been the best.

labsey
    Free Member

installation was fine, service has been fine. It’s been fine.

This.

skids
    Free Member

I was in the same situation BT gave me a long estimate when the line would be installed. I contacted sky and they did it faster with the guy from Openreach coming round. Sky is a lot cheaper too and they have unlimited download / don’t throttle your download speed either. Sky fibre is much cheaper too if you want that its £20 month

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Had sky for years, no issues at all. Recently got the fibre connection and its lovely.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Had Sky for a year at my old place. Great service, in fact, the internet didn’t work for an hour once so they sent out a £20 M&S voucher!

They also didn’t charge when I had to leave after 9months (can be up to £80 to cancel)

igrf
    Free Member

Sorry to report, but Sky has been the worse decision I’ve made recently, slower than my previous BT broadband which sucked anyway and the landline has some annoying answerphone service I’ve no idea how to access or turn off and too expensive.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Any one use sky broadband ?’ is closed to new replies.