Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any one know about Bar mitzvahs ?
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I am probably expecting Naked Gun puns and various other things here, but my son (12) has been invited to a school friends Bar Mitzvah Party. Now I am thinking it would be a good thing for him to go to, educationally and friendshipwise, but not sure what he will be going to. If its a chanting and prayer thing, then I guess that’s not what he would be keen on, being its 5 hrs long and hoping is just a normal party. Also, gifts for this event. I have googled, but found that cash in multiples of ’18’ or party gifts, such as jewish books 😯 .So any ideas on that as well.

footflaps

Try and avoid Hugo Boss clothing……

monkeychild
    Free Member

Try and avoid Hugo Boss clothing……

I had to google why. Bloody hell!!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Its near Windsor, I’ll see if Prince Harry is available to join us !

edhornby

or adidas !

If the family are inviting non-jewish kids they will pretty relaxed, as long as he dresses smart and takes something that isn’t offensive they’ll be fine

Cougar

Whatever you do, don’t tell them to keep the tip.

isto
    Free Member

I have been to a Bat Mitzvah and it was was a very relaxed celebration. I think it may depend on whether the family throwing it are secular as to how religious\traditional the ceremony part of it is. As said above if they are inviting non-Jewish kids I think it should be more of a party than a religious occasion.

We gave cash and my niece used it for a trip to Hungary to visit her grandmothers relatives. I think it is quite common to use this money to go on a trip somewhere – so cash is always welcome.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pork Scratching anyone? 😛

jam1e
    Free Member

Are they at least 750mm wide?

If not they aren’t enduro enough

failedengineer

Like isto says – they seem more of a party with a bit where the Bar mitzvah-ee reads some stuff out in Hebrew in the Synagogue in front of the congregation. I went to one once where the lad’s dad was an orthodox Rabbi but it still wasn’t too ‘religious’.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

They’re a very nice family and like I say, would be good in many ways for him to go, but didn’t want to face anything too ‘religious’ an event , just hoping it was more of a party to be honest. Its 30 miles from us, so we are going to drop him off and go find a pub for Mrs TJ and me, so he can call us if he doesn’t want to stay etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any one know about Bar mitzvahs ?’ is closed to new replies.