Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • any one got a pic of homemade headset press
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all
    as above.
    iv,e got a large threaded bar,nuts,spanners but what to use as the washers as not to damage anything.
    also the best way to get the old crown race off.
    is it right to use the old race to tap the new one on.
    cheers all

mangoridebike

Not got a pic but I used a couple of coaster type things that stop your sofa marking a wooden floor. wide stiff and plastic so they don’t mark the headset.

I put a washer in between the coasted and the nut to add a more even pressure to the coaster but this may be unnecessary

robhughes
    Free Member

ah good idea

bridget4
    Free Member

i made one that works fine from a long fence bolt with a large washer(about 2 inches diameter) at each end – cost just under £1 from local building suppliers

dobo
    Free Member

robhughes
    Free Member

nice one dobo

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I havent got any pics but I made a headset press out of 12 inches of studding (threaded bar) and some nuts and washers. The press part I made out of some 9mm MDF I cut circles out using a holesaw. The bottom circle is locked in place with 2 nuts washers and loctite the top circle is loose with a nut and washer on top. I just use a spanner to tighten it down. Yhe first time I used it the cups slipped on the shiny MDF so I cut an old mouse mat up and glued it to the MDF this holds the cups in place while you start squeezing them in. Cost me 50p for the studding all the other bits I had already.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s what I’ve always used.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

coyotes latest build 😆

robhughes
    Free Member

iv, got a small hilti concrete breaker but thought it a bit severe.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use a carpenter’s bench vice:
    (£18.49)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘any one got a pic of homemade headset press’ is closed to new replies.