Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any one get a good New Years ride in ?
  • Tracey

We went up to Peebles for 5 days. Only managed to ride this

Did get in some good sledging

http://kevinlawton6103.fotopic.net/c1799481.html

Firt time in seven years of going away for the new year and not going out on the bike

Only just managed to get over the A701 yesterday befor they closed it, it was a bit iffy at times

Any one get in any good riding over the holidays and where?

Tracey

freeridenick
    Free Member

Nice yesterday morning, frozen trails and a dusting of snow down here in Surrey.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

stayed in brighton, rented a room out in a rough, rough pub, and then dressed up as proper gents.

Even woke up without a hangover, these days, that's a bloody good NYE!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Didn't manage to get out, only option is a blast up the nearest A road and back – which doesn't inspire me. Local off road is impossible to ride to, I wish the ice would go.

darrell
    Free Member

not me. we have half a metre of snow and ice and its about -15 C round here. so not the best conditions for riding i'm afraid 😥

willej

Just got back from 3 hours in the freezing wastes of Hampshire and West Sussex. Good fun but I really hurt now. Still got to wash the bike…

iainc

i had planned to ride today and tomorrow – still -3 with frozen snow everywhere…. -( It is getting a bit tedious now !

lunge

Just got back from 2 hours over Clent. The ice made things fairly "interesting" in places but a dusting of snow also made some parts suprisingly grippy. Mostly still frozen so very little mud as well.

forge197
    Free Member

Did a New Years Day ride at Ae but will probably not venture out on the bike till next weekend 😥

allyharp

I've been planning to go out since about the 31st, but still haven't gone anywhere. Everywhere is just covered in solid ice which is just no fun to ride on and not really worth the risk of a hard crash and breaking some bones. I suspect that the further out, less well trodden paths will be better but I've got to go through plenty of bad ones to get there.

Today I went out and once I met my friends convinced them to go sledging instead. Great fun!

If tomorrow is the same I think I'll take the mtb on a road route.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah two cracking rides. One all off road in lovely dry hardpack conditions. And today an on/off ride zig zagging the Ridgeway.
    May I recommend cheap black thermal socks from poundstretcher as oversocks £1 for two pairs,toasty warm and don't spaz up like proper overshoes.

AndyP
    Free Member

couple of great snowrides. Made even better by a thermos full of warmed port.

Pieface

Went to CYB yesterday, trails were nice with a light dusting of snow. Did Dragon's back followed by Tarw – which for some reason I remembered as being much better than it is. Luckily we took lights as darkness fell on us. Last to leave too!

billyboy
    Free Member

Missed out on doing New year's Eve anything, for various reasons, but I went out in the evening on New Year's day and had a cracking moonlit ride around the Surrey Hills. The ground froze up and kept the grime at bay and I made the climb up to Leith Hill tower without ballsing it up which is always a bonus. And similar last night over the Ashdown Forest. Despite it being frozen up I'm sure I left the odd tyre track. Someone has to! It'll keep the fascists from thinking they have been totally successful in their unreasoned anti cyclists campaign.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Went body boarding on new year's morning at Stonehaven (south of Aberdeen).

In the evening we drove to Cairn-o-Mount (a big hill between Banchory and Fettercairn). The B974 over the mountain was closed due to snow so we rode up from the Banchory side and got to the last climb a few hundred yards from top where 2ft snowdrifts halted us. The downhill back was "interesting"!

Equipment notes:

A 700c hybrid with narrow cyclocross mud tyres was far more effective than MTBs with either fully or partly spiked snow/ice tyres.

keyses2

Not yet 🙁

Went for a walk instead.

Quite slippy in places, even the dog had speed and traction control issues !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any one get a good New Years ride in ?’ is closed to new replies.