• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any one done a home made neoguard to stop the flying mud?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

any diy suggestions on what is really a very simple object?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. Loads of people have. Where do you think Neoguard got the idea from?

Search for pissflaps (for sub 6" forks) or beef curtains (for bigger forks)

(might be worth having safesearch turned on… 😉 )

peachos
    Free Member

old innertube cut open and sized. a few zip ties and gaffer tape. job done.

Hooter
    Free Member

Yep, an old inner tube does the job just fine. Makes a big difference going fast through sloppy mud 🙂

z1ppy

found there ok on their own but in conjuction with a down tube mounted crud guard they are excellent.

Google
    Free Member

How do these things work? Ive looked at them and they seem to be designed to stop mud flying forward, and thats not where I am so I'm not sure how its supposed to stop any mud hitting ME.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Google – the mud flys forward and up – hangs in the air and then you ride into it.

they do work

chvck
    Free Member

I've often wondered that too, cheers for clearing that one up TandemJeremy! Might have to make myself one now

bent_udder
    Free Member

They're easy to make – a DH tube is fine, MX one better. I use velcro cable ties from Maplin, which seem to work a treat. Best thing to do is experiment with different lengths and shapes. If you have a whole inner tube to play with, you can cut out a bunch and try different ways of attaching them. Three or sometimes four velcro ties on the crown seems to work, and one for each corner at the top.

stumpyjon

Or for a relatively modest amount of money you could actually buy one. Surprisingly they also work 😉

jonb
    Free Member

I copied someone off here who made one out of a plastic tub. Fixed to the brace, bit like a number plate.

nuke

Do they tend to channel the mud towards your fork seals? IIRC I saw in STW in the last edition the Chameleon with a neoguard and the mud had run down the brace and right on to the seals finally emerging down the side of the fork. Good for keeping mud out your face but not so good for fork seals!?!

epicyclo

Mine's made out of a plastic milk carton. Works great and cut exactly to size.

jfeb
    Free Member

Bit of inner tube attached in each corner with a zip tie. Took all of about 10 minutes to do. Works pretty well too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any one done a home made neoguard to stop the flying mud?’ is closed to new replies.