Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any one carry TyreWeld instead of a spare wheel?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Need the space for a overnight trip so thinking of taking the spare out. Only had one flat in the last 10 years – touch wood.

Also how do the RAC treat this if you had to call them out because the sidewall was trashed and the weld couldn't cope?

trail_rat
    Free Member

given that most company vehicles have spares removed and the instructions are to call the AA/RAC/Greenflag i cant see it being an issue – when the **** dont put the spare wheel BACK when they sell it you end up with a van like mine thats sans spare wheel !

uplink
    Free Member

Some new cars come like that now

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming you don't drive for miles on the flat there's no reason the sidewall should die, they're fairly resiliant to a few hundred metres.

trail_rat
    Free Member

CK unless your my missus and proceed to catch the sidewall on a petrol pump surround…..

then find out that her car doesnt have a jack !

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some new cars come like that now

Yup – mine does.

Junkyard
    Free Member

does it actually work? I last tried it on motorbike tyre 15 years ago and it was utterly sh1te sprayed in sprayed back out did not even inflate the tyre

gonefishin
    Free Member

My Focus didn't come with a spare wheel. It did come with a compressor and sealant which I used last year. It worked really quite well to be honest. I wouldn't want to drive any real distance with it but it was enough to get to a tyre place to get a replacement.

Edit it wasn't TyreWeld but the Continental equivalent.

Pigface
    Free Member

No spare in my Focus which is a lease car, just a can of tyre weld.

Tiger6791

My TVR had a can instead of a spare

uplink
    Free Member

Edit it wasn't TyreWeld but the Continental equivalent.

soudure de pneu? 😀

wwaswas

I'd consider one of thos elittle compressors that run off the fag lighter socket – I had to top my tyre up when I used the supplied can of weldy stuff.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I used to. Only had one flat in the last 15 years, which was Tuesday morning. No sidewall left, tyre totally fubar'd. Luckily, I had a spare, jack, wheelbrace and a'hin with me. Not going to rely on a can any more.

failedengineer

I had one in my last car which should have had runflats on but didn't. Sod's law – Got a puncture. Used two cans, but it worked fine. I got the tyre repaired, too, after being told that the sealant ruins them. The tyre fitter just washed it out.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Smart didn't come with a spare (no room to fit one), but they give you two years RAC cover, the inflator and Tyre Weld is an optional extra for about £90 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Just use Stan's 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

The conti kit is called the 'comfort' kit and injects a liquid sealant into the tyre via the inflation valve & inflates the tyre with the integrated 12v compressor.

Generally pretty good unless you have a big hole (or torn sidewall).

It is very common now to have cars equipped with these systems in place of a spare tyre but I have to admit even as a tyre engineer by profession I paid an extra €40 when I got my last car to have a real spare wheel (even if it is mini-spare) as well as the repair kit.

I don't think the tyre-weld cans inflate the tyre sufficiently from memory, and the speed you can continue driving is drastically reduced (40mph or so I think)…

The challenge is identifying you have a flat tyre before you have damaged it beyond repair. Harder than you might imagine especially if it is on the rear axle….
    When pressure monitoring becomes a legal requirement that aspect will disappear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any one carry TyreWeld instead of a spare wheel?’ is closed to new replies.