Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Any older dads?!
  • stox
    Free Member

Best bit of kit I have found

I think that will be another thread for me to start – things to buy / avoid !

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m 44 and have four kids. The oldest is 11 and the youngest 2. I think it is better to have kids later. I had my wild years a while ago and now have more time/inclination to spend on the children. And as others have said, it keeps you young!

funkmasterp

Glad somebody started this thread. I am thirty six with my first due in February, mrs funkmaster is thirty. I was worried about age, similar to OP, but reading this is making me feel better. I would have been a terrible parent in my twenties, pretty much lived the lyrics to QOTSA – feel good hit of the summer, that wold have been disastrous 🙂

Now more mature and don’t do anything other than the occasional glass of Bourbon. Have a dog, well small horse, (Newfoundland cross) and can’t wait to introduce them to each other. Growing up with a dog as a friend is one of my fondest memories. Worried and excited about the baby in equal measure, roll on February 😀

LenHankie
    Free Member

I’d say it’s pretty much the norm isn’t it?…I’m 37 with kids of 1 and 4, which is about the same as all my friends.

My dad was 50 when they had me! (Mum was 42). That is my definition of an older dad – and he was the best dad I could ever have wished for…but I did lose him when I was 21. As he’d done it all before a good 20 years earlier when he had my older brothers and sisters, there was pretty much nothing I did that he hadn’t seen before, so I had quite an easy ride. I loved the fact that he was properly ‘old school’ compared to my friend’s dads, e.g. he wore a tie every day…even once he’d retired…he’d never owned a pair of jeans or trainers either.

His dad had him post 30 as well, which leads to the odd situation that all my grandparents were born in the reign of Queen Victoria and my grandfather fought in WW1!

wallop

What about your ladies? I’m 33 and still not ready 😯

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m 46 in 1hr and 2mins. My twins are 4.

Sometimes I wish I did it years ago, other times I just love it for what I now have.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m 40 with 3 and 7 yr old girls. Don’t feel old whatsoever but wouldn’t want any more, not an age thing but never been so skint in my whole life since we had them. The end is in sight when the youngest goes to school and we don’t have to pay nursery fees anymore. No way would I do it all again. They are the best thing in the world though.

johndoh
    Free Member

It is odd though – some people I was at school with are grandparents, have kids in Uni etc. others have kids same age / younger than my two.

valleyman
    Free Member

i was 35….

to say it’s been easy is a lie, the sleep deprivation killed us, and she is still getting up at 6am on the dot, cant complain as she is down at 7.30pm and we don’t hear a peep.

i do feel old, i am easily the youngest parent down the local park and taking her swimming, but i dont care.

financially it does hit you, she finished child car 2 days a week which was a god send and she start nursery next month.

in hindsight i wish i’d done it younger maybe 30, but it didnt work out that way and i wouldnt have done half the things i’ve done (travelling etc)

carlosg
    Free Member

I was 34 when my oldest lad (8) was born and 40 when his little brother (2) joined us , we never intended the big gap but nature doesn’t always play fair.

When mrscarlos and I got together in 1989 neither of us was remotely interested in having a family,we enjoyed spending our money on us and generally having a good time. As we turned 30 we started talking about family but never got further than practicing 😈 We still had stuff we wanted to do and as we got older we decided it would be nice to share the experiences with our own family and the rest is history.

At the school my eldest attends the older parents (circa 40ish) seem to be in a majority. I sometimes wish we’d started earlier as my 2 lads are pretty full on for the whole time they’re awake and I’m knackered by the time they get to bed most nights but I love being a dad the good things far outweigh the bad ,just can’t wait till I can get them both out on their bikes for a proper ride.

hot_fiat

One thing I will say while we’re 47 hours into labour: get some sleep while you can, I’m knackered, can’t imagine how tired the o/h is.

epicyclo

I was 50 when my daughter was born – she’s just off to Uni next month.

Much easier when you’re older. You know they’ll eventually walk, talk, and stop peeing the bed.

stox
    Free Member

One thing I will say while we’re 47 hours into labour: get some sleep while you can, I’m knackered, can’t imagine how tired the o/h is.

🙂 any news or are you into the 55th hour yet?!

Dickyboy

37 is not old! glad I had mine younger though as I wouldn’t have liked trying to deal with errant teenagers & an aging father at the same time.

mjdcc
    Free Member

Congratulations!

I have to swim against the prevailing consensus. You might tell yourself you are only as young as you feel but ultimately it is wishful thinking.

I have a second on the way and will be 39 when it arrives, was 36 for the first. I swear it is harder, when you are older. However fit you may be your not 25, and the lack of sleep is way harder to deal with.

My partner and I found it really hard. It may be obvious but your relationship fundamentally changes. Wwhatever happens from here on in – whether you live happily together forever or separate at some point (as we considered) – you are forever joined (“forever”) as parents of a child. Accepting that was hard for me, as I have always been the footloose type. Worth it in the end though. Enjoy!

mattjg
    Free Member

44 when my little Pickle was born, she’s nearly 2 1/2 now, I reckon I’m a better dad for being a bit older, but that’s me. I think too young (not ready) would be a lot harder than too old.

Have a slight concern about dealing with a stroppy teenager in my early sixties, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. She’s going to look at me and wonder why her dad’s a wrinkly dinosaur! It’s so unfair!

mattjg
    Free Member

On the other hand, Christmas 2028, I’m counting on a lift to the pub and back.

hot_fiat

We got to 58 hours and this little chappie popped out. Tired does not begin to cover it. Fair dos to the missus for accidentally doing the entire delivery without pain relief. #hardasnails

dannybgoode

36 for me also (Mrs Danny was a much more sprightly 30!) but I have a cut off of being no more than 40 if / when we have another – I want the house kid free when I retire!!

Hard work but completely worth it. My uncle in his 60’s and his partner is expecting so 36-37 isn’t that old!

Cheers

Danny B

joeegg
    Free Member

A female friend of mine is trying for a baby.She’s 40.
    Her husband is 60.I can’t say that he seems enthusiastic,and he’s not a ” young ” 60.

anagallis_arvensis

Good work hotfiat!!

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s not so much now as in 10-15 yrs time that you will find the lack of energy an issue. But enjoy it while it lasts and worry about that when it happens.

ski
    Free Member

37 is not old, when that time comes and you are waiting in the playground waiting to pick up your kids from school, its the teachers and not the parents that you will think are young 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

Congratulations hot fiat but 58 hours is amateur night if my memory of crankbrats protracted entry into the world are accurate. We did go through the entire contents of the drug trolly though .

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Any older dads?!’ is closed to new replies.