Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • any old skool windsurfers out there ?
  • Twodogs

Always good to see this again…
    Mr Naish looping an Equipe

whatgoesup

I just looked at the pictures – you’re right, it’s covered in bad repairs…

I’m sure there’s a few good ones around – could be worth a wanted ad on some suitable forums maybe

flossie
    Free Member

There’s a nice old Vinta for sale here…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132048454311

I think at £50 he’s being optimistic!

bikebouy
    Free Member

There was a small contingent of Kona Ones on Hayling a few years back, haven’t seen any recently. That’s a good call as a fall back choice, be more expensive mind.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i can give you a good perspective on this as i more or less did the same.

i started windsurfing in the 70s, aged 13 or so, and grew up on hayling when it was the mecca. began with windsurfer regatta, teak boom etc, got into wave sailing as that came along, ended up mid 90s traveling on the world tour making tv shows and had some pretty fancy kit. then i simply stopped.

3 or so years back i got an email from my old sailing mate, he’d been a pro in the day, saying he had got a bit of kit together, that i would be stunned how good modern stuff was, and was i in.

think i may have even posted a thread on here, but long and short after a bit of reading up i listened to combined wisdom and ignored the stupid cheap 90s kit you can get and bought, still silly cheap, a JP freewave 84 and a couple of naish sails. all up maybe 400quid. i can remember looking at the jp and could not believe how small it seemed.

i now have 3x north heros (about 125-175 each) and a JP wave 82 (350quid) and recently a naish koncept (125quid) for lighter winds that i’ve yet to sail.

there is no question that newer stuff, i reckon 2008 is the cut off 2010 on ideal, is so far ahead of older kit is crazy. there is a much wider windrange and its just a damn sight easier to sail.

i did buy last summer a mistral flow, from mark gohegan who i’ve bought a few bits off, immaculate for 35quid, and it was super fun and allowed me to sail in pretty light winds but i was amazed at how different it was to the newer kit i had sailed.

my advice if you want to get back into sailing is buy cheap at first, but don’t buy old no matter what sort of bargain it seems.

if you are not fussed about planing then just get, like has been said, something like a kona 1 and a 5.3m sail. or better yet a windsurfer regatta, i still sail mine in the summer.

i’ve got a well used but sound and light f2 lightening that i would sell silly cheap if you really want one, but i’m in cornwall.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It was John Hibbard that brought Starboard Paddleboards into the UK, him and Roger saw the opportunity and Red was the result.

Is that John with the children all named beginning with J? I raced against them in dinghies in the 90s.

Small world eh?

BigJohn

Sea Panther! My first board in 1986 was a Sea Panther Star and I loved it. Even though it was awful, even for its time.

Sea Panther teamed up with the Daily Star to make a board for the masses to rival the Mirror dinghy.

I used to race my F2 Lightning but I got rid of it because I just wasn’t enjoying sailing any more. Shorter, wider boards have changed all that and now I’m as keen as ever. But good as my RRD Firemove 130LTD is, there’s no way I can get upwind half as fast as my old long boards did. (Mistral Pantera, Bic Veloce).

I still have a Tiga 257 wave board and Pryde Combat 4.0 from about 1992 that are still great fun on a breezy day. And in November I was sailing at El Medano in Tenerife and one old guy was sailing just about as well as anybody with a dacron Gaastra sail that I reckon dated from the early 90s. Pre loose leech – still had the leech line and tab to tighten it up when it got overpowered!

kempie
    Free Member

Got a wee selection you may be interested in.

F2 Sputnik WC edition 275
    Big Vivace 282
    Hifly 252 wave board

Plus all in board bags, good condition, not excellent but good. and a selection of fins.

Plus a nice quiver of Neil Pryde sails fully battened with roller cams from 6.5, 5.5, 4.5 & 3.8. Gaastra sails again fully battened and roller cams, 5.8 & 5.3.

2 rigs, (carbon 2 piece masts and wishbones)

mrmoofo

Hi Kemple
    Thanks for the offer – but those are too small for me.
    Gavtheoldskater ….
    Can you describe the Lightning? Even though it is Cornwall I might be interested….
    I have just bought some bargain sails from Mark G to start will and a Fanatic Shark …

Any one know of any Kona Ones for sale? There seem to be none!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

drop me an email, its in my prof, i have some pics on my phone i think.

mrmoofo

Gav TOS …. Email sent
    🙂
    Thanks

mrmoofo

Still looking …

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2004 JP 128 Freeride that needs its finbox glassing back in if someone is looking for a winter project. Free to a good home 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

And if you were hinting of heading down this way for the Round Hayling Race, the date has changed.. we had a clash so it’s moved to Sept 23rd, so instead of Northerly bitter winds in April, we’re now looking for Seabreezes and 30c..

Yay!!

mrmoofo

And if you were hinting of heading down this way for the Round Hayling Race, the date has changed.. we had a clash so it’s moved to Sept 23rd, so instead of Northerly bitter winds in April, we’re now looking for Seabreezes and 30c..

That could be interesting ….
    Thanks for the offer of the JP Freeride …. but too small for my purposes

mda

I have a couple of 310 boards which haven’t been used for a while. F2 Xantos 310 142 ltrs and a Fanatic Ram 310 145 ltrs. The fanatic has a daggerboard. Also have a good selection of sails from the same era and a Quiverack roof box.

BigJohn

What did Boardwise say when you called, Mr Moofo?

mrmoofo

Big John,

Boardwise said they had nothing … which seems at odds with the photo. But I guess it means they don’t want to sell ….

BigJohn

Everybody must be getting in on the long raceboard revival and snapping them up then. Nothing is quite the same for upwind performance and light wind versatility.

doot
    Free Member

Anybody got an old 1993/4 Tiga 257 wave board in their garage for sale in good condition. The old solid one with the large footpad..? Or a spare fin (s) also.
    I am still sailing mine down here on Karpathos Island.

cheers
    Doot

doot
    Free Member

Also looking for some wave sails..old but in good condition. I am used to 1990’s sails.!! sizes 3.5 to 5.5.
    cheers Doot

BigJohn

I have a Tiga 257, selection of fins, a Pryde Combat 4.0, Pryde 4×4 5.0 and Gaastra Wave Slalom 3.4 all from the early 90s. Maybe some Pryde e-z rig booms.

I keep them for windy days at the coast but haven’t used them in a couple of years. Except the 5.0. and unlikely to use them again as I tend to hire instead.

If they were going to an enthusiastic user I could be tempted to part with them. If I took them to Boardwise Ian would probably sort out shipping.

BigJohn

The board is the one before the all in one green footpad version but they were identical otherwise. I’ve used it with a 5.8 and managed to wobble out of the harbour at Costa Teguise with all 15 stone of me on board.

It’s got a bit of rock rash but being soft PVC they’re indestructible.

pictonroad

I have no idea what it is but I highly recommend parents of young kids getting hold of one of these old boards. Someone gave us this one a couple of weeks ago, the kids love ‘surfing’ on it. Plenty of buoyancy, great fun for some after work beach shenanigans. 8)

BigJohn

How very odd. Somebody joins the site and makes one and only post asking for some very obscure and off-topic toys.

Long-time member responds within the hour saying he has exactly what the OP is after.

Radio silence.

I can only assume there was a 3rd casualty in that tsunami in the Greek isles.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘any old skool windsurfers out there ?’ is closed to new replies.