Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any of you ever had Dry Needling?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

If so what did you think of it?

midlifecrashes

Pain in the ass hoovering up, should have put more water in the base of the tree and next year I’m getting one of those fancy Nordman ones. 😉

wallop

Yes, but it was part of a chiropractic treatment so essentially a load of old bwalls really.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its got to better than a dry bumming!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I had it tonight. I can no longer walk. Tight muscle is gone though – basically it’s just not working. I’m told to expect it to get worse for the next 48 hours….

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had it along with a deep tissue sports massage and manipulation following a torn medial meniscus. I am stubborn and left the injury untreated. When I was falling over getting up from my desk as my leg wouldn’t extend I went for treatment.

Hobbled in to the surgery but strolled out and was riding my bike at the Sheffield indoor dream that night and skiing as hard as ever a month later!

Was sceptical but it seemed to work for me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It does work – similar in technique to acupuncture, works well in conjunction with Trigger Point manipulation – now THAT hurts……

scaredypants

Tight muscle is gone though – basically it’s just not working

What was it for ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Overactive Peroneus Longus.

scaredypants

a tight muscle ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yip down the outside of my calf.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

A physio used it on my shoulder years ago. It was difficult to tell if it made a difference, since he was a weight lifting behemoth who could inflict a lot of pain with his bare hands. He claimed it improved blood flow to the site of the injury.

scaredypants

I don’t get it – treatment was for a tight muscle, which has “gone” but you say it’s not working ?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Used pretty widely as a technique for treating trigger points in muscles. The science behind trigger points + needling them isn’t very robust but anecdotally reported as working by various clinicians + patients. One of the consultants I work with uses it. The central nervous system + pain systems are very complex + not always predictable in their responses.

Unless they were going for it with a knitting needle, they are unlikely to have caused any significant tissue damage. On the whole muscles “tighten up” for a reason and unless thats being addressed, then it may not “work”.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Nup, but thanks for the warning.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I don’t get it – treatment was for a tight muscle, which has “gone” but you say it’s not working ?

The muscle is no longer working – I cant get a contraction in it – probably pain inhibited.

roady_tony
    Free Member

had 6 treatment sessions on my glutes, didnt work. i did google it before i was given it, and there are mixed reports of its effectiveness.
    it certainly didnt do me any harm, so i guess its always worth a punt?

Cheezpleez

Science … not very robust = understatement

Massage and placebo are both wonderful things

Flaperon

The muscle is no longer working – I cant get a contraction in it – probably pain inhibited.

Maybe – just maybe – you need to see a professional? Not being able to contract a muscle at all sounds quite serious.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Flaperon – I’m surrounded by professionals. I cannae get away from professionals.

Leg is better than it’s been in a long time today.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any of you ever had Dry Needling?’ is closed to new replies.