Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Oban area riders out there??
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Hi.
    I’m looking on a wee bit of info on trails in sutherlands grove at barcaldine?

Waderider
    Free Member

Hello Graeme, I have just left Appin after living there for about a year. I stuck my nose into Sutherlands Grove a few times but found only dull forest fireroad. I was looking for singletrack…..I did find one trail but to be honest it was more downhill than cross country (I’m crap technically, basically).

If there is quality mountain biking there I didn’t find it.

graeme87
    Free Member

Thanks for your input. I’ve heard there is a few decent trails in there but I just haven’t found them yet.

13thfloormonk

Waderiders has it about right, when I last checked the place out there were several sections of steep technical singletrack with long sections of fireroad between them. There is great riding to be had but its a bit difficult without a local guide, I’d lived there all my life and still had to be shown the good stuff!

To their credit though, the local builders and riders are typically riding XC bikes so they’re not deliberately building DH trails.

First place to look is by the reservoir. If you ride along the top of it at the far end there are two different singletrack descents, the one on the right is the better of the two although I don’t know what condition it is in. Once you reach the bottom, head uphill on the forest road and you will eventually see another descent heading into the trees on your left.

There was more singletrack descending from higher up, towards the reservoir, I think it comes out on the forest road around about NM976 419. Linking all three sections together would make a good ride, albeit with a lot of forest road to climb at first.

There were some even better trails further into the forest, you might need a map though and don’t blame me if you get lost! Try looking in the area surrounding the mobile phone mast which overlooks Creagan bridge. There were some fantastic technical trails descending to the new roundabout on the Barcaldine side of the bridge, and some others which descended onto the cycle path, you could try joining the cycle path at the roundabout and pedalling back towards Barcaldine, there should be one or two trails descending to your left.

You might need a map and a day spent exploring but if the above trails still exist and you’re not frightened of some steep rooty sections then there’s some good riding to be had.

Finally, try finding someone at North Argyll Cycle Club, they have a web presence somewhere and organise local races.

graeme87
    Free Member

Thanks very much @13thfloormonk. Lots of usefull info 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Oban area riders out there??’ is closed to new replies.