Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any Niner Air 9 owners reviews?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I currently have a Niner rdo one 9 aluminium, running 1 by 10 with 100mm fork up front.
    Keep thinking of upgrading to carbon air 9, like the thought of the 15mm rear maxle and the weight saving. (Is there much?)
    Is it worth it?
    It would be my race bike.
    Have any of you owned/own an air 9?
    What’s your review of it?
    Many thanks.

jobro
    Free Member

Erm I’ve never owned the Ali one but I have ridden one. I own an Air 9C and have done for 2 years. My rigid A9c weighs a long 16lbs and I always say it rides like a road bike but with extended capability. It rides beautifully sat down or out of the saddle. I ride Exmoor, the Q’s and Dartmoor, so a variety of terrains some of which are quite rocky. The rigid fork can be a handful! But I wouldn’t change it as its primary function is XC race(off road triathlons mainly)

In my ,biased, view its one of the best racing mtb’s you can buy. This is my 30th year of racing off road so I have tried a few out.

In the broadest terms the carbon one feels “sharper”, but the number of compounding factors are huge. There is not a huge difference in weight.

Probably not worth the considerable extra dosh. But I would always go for the carbon for the slight benefit.

Clobber
    Free Member

Do you actually like the ally one 9 you are riding now?

xcstu
    Free Member

I’m an owner of a Niner Air 9 RDO..

I originally picked up a virtually newer but 2nd hand one from the USA (2014 model) but after a few weeks of owning noticed some finger print marks under the lacquer! Cut a long story short Niner in the USA / Jungle Products agreed to change it for this years 2015 model… Could not fault their customer service!!!

As for the ride.. I was a very faithful 26″ Specialized Stumpy Sworks fan so jumping ship was a big thing.. IMO carbon for a start is a great material for a race bike and seems way smoother and forgiving over aluminium and generally lighter!.. Also for the first time running 1×11 and with 100mm travel forks tipping the scales at 20lbs.. The newer frame was only a couple of 100grams lighter! I found the frame quite a bit more rigid than my old sworks and if it didn’t have a carbon seat post I think on epic rides / 12/24 hours races could leave you a bit jaded?? After all its a race bike!!

Old

New

quintet100
    Free Member

I would plan on keeping the alloy one as a ss and carbon for race.
    Clobber you can’t comment due to the fact you don’t ride a Niner or even ride a bike. 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

was a reasonable question!!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve won stuff on mine. It’s great 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any Niner Air 9 owners reviews?’ is closed to new replies.