Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any Nice Steel HT's with V brake bosses?
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Before anyone starts up .. yes yes, discs are better, I ride discs normally…. BUT

I'm looking at doing a bike tour/holiday around SE asia for 2-3 months and I'm trying to imagine the best build for such an endeavor .. Thinking – steel frame, rigid fork, rack mounts, V-brakes .. All nice and simple & easy to fix/replace should a problem arise.

Loooads of steel HTs around but none with v-bosses and rack mounts that I can find …. I may look at a Curtis Custom Build but they don't come cheap.

Any suggestions?

ta!

RealMan
    Free Member

inbred.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Merlin, Rock Lobster?

corroded
    Free Member

My RM Blizzard has rack mounts and V-brake bosses but not sure if current models do. But I can recommend it for touring: mine's been across Sri Lanka and around Bali.

noteeth
    Free Member

not sure if current models do

They don't – something I was rather miffed at, actually… It's nice to have the option.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The Pastey Howler has both if that lot are still going. I love mine.

corroded
    Free Member

Ah, oh well. More fool them – it was one of the reasons I went for the Blizzard.

momentum
    Free Member

Older inbreds had bolt on ones and I think Surly frames have them – gives you a choice of 26" (1×1) or 29" (Karate Monkey), but will obviously cost more than a second hand inbred. Otherwise you could get some brazed onto a frame and get a repaint, although it will cost a bit.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

cheers for the heads-up on the inbred .. current blurb says v-bosses are there.

RM blizzard was my first choice esp. at merlin's current price for the 08 model (incidentally, that's about 80 quid cheaper than it'd cost me at trade through work!) but no bosses!

Nothing with slightly fancier tubing than the inbred? .. Up to 600 max.

I dunno if anyone has a NOS old skool v-brake ti frame kicking around for that 😀

BigJohn

A friend of mine, PQ, does this sort of thing a lot. He rides a Tinbred and a 5-spot for normal stuff, but he does like to cross the occasional continent every now and then.

He has some sound ideas on what sort of bike to take. Read this article, then look at the rest of his adventure.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=65310&v=3o

Basically, don't take anything you wouldn't be able to replace in a bike shop in Rangoon.

BigJohn

I haven't heard from him for a while. I guess he might be half way between Alaska and Tierra del Fuego, which is something he's often talked about doing.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I'll sell you this (not the forks – they've already gone)

1996 RM Hammer resprayed a couple of years ago by Argos. It's v-brake only and has rack mounts.

I'll also throw in the seatpost + clamp, front mech, headset and v-brake if you're interested. I'm not sure how I'd go about posting it though. Let me know if you're interested

corroded
    Free Member

BTW, if you can't find anything suitable I could be tempted to part with my 19" Blizzard… been looking at longer travel frames recently!

momentum
    Free Member

cheers for the heads-up on the inbred .. current blurb says v-bosses are there

Really – the blurb here http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Slot_Dropout_Inbred_27.html says "* It's DISC ONLY"

Nothing with slightly fancier tubing than the inbred? .. Up to 600 max.

I dunno if anyone has a NOS old skool v-brake ti frame kicking around for that

Do you really want something fancy for touring in SE asia? I'd take something tough and cheap that can take some abuse, doesn't look too bling and can be welded up in a tiny garage in the middle of nowhere if it breaks. Doubt you'll notice the ride quality of the frame material when it's loaded with kit. I'd save the money and use it to go for longer or to do some cool stuff while I was there!

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

the geared inbred has the option of bosses it seems.. but as you point out the SLOT drop-out version doesn't.

I probably should get a cheaper frame, you're right .. there's just that silly romantic notion of a bike-for-life that will follow me round the globe.. which is a silly romanic notion.

brant
    Free Member

You're looking at the wrong inbred. You want a NOT SLIDING DROPOUT one.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Not_Sliding_Dropout_31.html

oxym0r0n

Voodoo Wanga ~ you can SS it then too when your gears pack up!

iamtheresurrection

Kona Explosif has canti bosses, doesn't it?

Edit: Hang on, it's not on their site – have they dropped it?!

odannyboy
    Free Member

get someone who knows there stuff to weld/braze some onto the frame of your choice??
    im sure its obvious but i guess you would remove any manufacturers stickers and paint it an unapealling colour like matt black to stop thieves?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any Nice Steel HT's with V brake bosses?’ is closed to new replies.