Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any MINI (ORIGINAL) bOFFS OUT THERE ? TECHNICAL QUESTION
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

hi

Hope you can help…

Mini Cooper 1997 rear wheel(drivers side) goes in at an angle have been told its the Camber Bracket that has snapped and its not the Radius arm or subframe that is bent….would this make sense ?

I know I could go on a mini forum but rather truy here 1 st !

Many thanks in advance

bigsurfer
    Free Member

It could be any of the 3 things you have mentioned.

Radius arm’s could be damaged – probably the least likely they are pretty strong. If it is the bush in the radius arm that is worn their will be play when jacked up.

Camber Bracket – could be brocken or could have been swapped for an adjustable bracket at some time. Lots of people fit these without a clue how to set the car up properly after fitting.

The subframe could be the culprit – it could be bent, it might be a reproduction part so not actually the right shape. It could also be incorectly fitted it may have needed shimming to get it correctly aligned.

It is also possible that the shell has been in an acident and is not as straight as it once was.

Photo’s might help but really you need somebody that really knows mini’s to have a good look at it.

Where in the country are you.

Most of the options above can also be the answer to your problem, adjustable camber brackets shimming the subframe etc.

rootes1

in at an angle how? toe in / toe out postive camber / negative camber?

yes photo would be helpful

std camber brackets offer no adjustment, you can also get fixed brackets that give different angles..

you can also get adjustable ones… some of these are shite and are hard to setup, or move once fixed in place…

KAD ones are good:
    http://www.kad-uk.com/suspension.htm

the brackets basically locate the outer pivot of the radius arm…

If the car had had a bang on the rear from a slide into a kerb then *if* the radius arm has been bent you normally get a bit of extra toe out due to the orientation of the radius arm, wheel and pivot.

camber brackets are on the outside ends of the radius arms so get a brush, give the area a clean and with a torch take a look – compare side to side and see if any thing is amiss

as as big surfer says worth jacking you and looking for play and radius pivots (also worth a look at wheel bearing while you are there) use a bar under the wheel against the ground to better leverage rather than just grasping the wheel with your hands.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d say radius arm bearing collapse.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hi

Its my wife’s 1st cousins car she has had it from new, she is now buying a new car so has offered it to me for a good price £1200 her mechanic has looked under the car and said the bracket has snapped its the original one. Car never been involved in accident.

Is it a big job to do ? I was told I could do it myself ?!?!?!

rootes1

Is it a big job to do ? I was told I could do it myself ?!?!

*IF* nothing is seize *and* you have the tools then yes job you can do yourself.

also make sure you get one that gives the std camber angle so that it matches the other side (assuming that they are originals)

best bet would be to get your mechanic to do the job – then if it goes wrong or he was wrong he can deal with it 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any MINI (ORIGINAL) bOFFS OUT THERE ? TECHNICAL QUESTION’ is closed to new replies.