Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any MIAS qualified Ride Leaders on here?
  • dirkpitt74

Hi All,
    Are there any of you that have qualified as a Mountain Bike Leader (either level 1 or 2)?

Is it a worthwhile qualification to have?

Current job is doing my head in and thinking of looking to do something different and wondered if getting some guiding and coaching quals was worth it.

Initially looking at ride leader and potentially setting up some social rides to start with – a kind of Dads & Lads thing.

Any info/feedback gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

iainc

I am MBLA L2; did it recently with some colleagues from Glasgow Riderz, where we are all BC coaches. We did it to open up some freedom to take the club groups out in the wilds. It was a useful course and certainly a must if you want to formally lead groups in that environment. It doesn’t allow you to coach though.

I can’t see it ever allowing me to give up the day job mind you …

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im MIAS 2, not used it in forever though

dirkpitt74

iainc – Member

I am MBLA L2; did it recently with some colleagues from Glasgow Riderz, where we are all BC coaches. We did it to open up some freedom to take the club groups out in the wilds. It was a useful course and certainly a must if you want to formally lead groups in that environment. It doesn’t allow you to coach though.

I can’t see it ever allowing me to give up the day job mind you …

Thanks for the reply – yes appreciate it doesn’t allow coaching, but coaching is another qual I’m interested in taking – possibly the BC route with a local club if possible.

smashit
    Free Member

I’m MIAS 2 and work for an organisation that employs a lot of freelance cycle guides. It is a ‘valuable’ ticket in that you will get a lot out of it, but there are very few properly full time guides in the UK. There are also a lot of MIAS2/BCL2/CTC qualified ride leaders out there!
    If you have the cash and time then go for it!

cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, level two along with many other cycling related qualifications.

I do group rides with a local outdoor activity centre, arrange led trips to either N Wales or over Calderdale way, run accessible cycling sessions twice a week, do maintenance on all the bikes held by both groups, so much of my week is full, particularly over summer.
    Does drop off a bit over winter, but I fill some of the time doing other activities or am on safety boat duties for our local watersports centre.

I was in the same situation as you. Hated my job, so to me the pay cut was easily worth it to be happy everyday, messing about with bikes! Luckily, I have an amazing mrs who is very happy in her (reasonably well paid) job so it was an option for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

MIAS 3 here. I do a little bit but it’s never going to pay the mortgage. In fact, given the insurance costs, breaking even can be tricky but then again, I’m not trying that hard with it as I like my day job.

Potdog
    Free Member

I’m hoping to be offering the MIAS courses late September. Still looking for a couple of Guinea pigs to join the first course and will get the course at cost price. Only possible downside if you can call it that is that the course will be held in Tenerife. Drop me an email or DM if interested.

dirkpitt74

Potdog – Member

I’m hoping to be offering the MIAS courses late September. Still looking for a couple of Guinea pigs to join the first course and will get the course at cost price. Only possible downside if you can call it that is that the course will be held in Tenerife. Drop me an email or DM if interested.

Thanks Potdog – have DM’d you.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Bookmarked as this is something I’ve been looking at for a while now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any MIAS qualified Ride Leaders on here?’ is closed to new replies.