Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • "Any metallurgists/framebuilders in?" II (al's not giving up)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Further to my last threadhttp://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-metallurgistsframebuilders-in

I have refined my question to:

What happens to a TIG-welded bike frame when put in an oven at 800°C for 2 minutes from room temperature, then being cooled in air at room temperature.

It seems this will un-heat-treat anything heat treated like 853, but leave TIG joints unaffected (tho wreck any low temperature joints on cable guides, drop outs etc).

So will non heat-treated steel be OK?

redddraggon
    Free Member

Sounds like you are quenching it to me. High temperature and quick cooling. It’s not a cycle I’d treat anything too unless I wanted it hard and brittle.

What are you trying to achieve? Stress relief?

redddraggon
    Free Member

Also what is the base material and filler wire?

mick_r

Nothing like getting your own information – I’d make (at least) a couple of test samples.

2x 300mm (?) lengths of basic 28.6mm cro-mo seat tube.

2 bits of steel plate.

Tig weld each tube to a plate to give a base / something to clamp down.

Put one through your coating process, keep the other as a control sample.

Do a controlled bending load vs deflection test on each up to failure. I’d use a servo hydraulic actuator to get a consistent rate of loading but I guess that option isn’t open to most people. Plot the load-deflection graphs to find the yield and ultimate loads. This would give some basic information regarding annealing, embrittlement etc.

If doing it properly (ha ha) you would really need to test a bigger batch of samples to allow statistical / weibull analysis of the results.

And maybe then some impact / fracture toughness type tests….

And then different tests with more batches of samples to investigate fatigue performance…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

redddraggon – Member

Sounds like you are quenching it to me. High temperature and quick cooling

It’s the same cooling as brazing?

shandcycles
    Free Member

Al,

that frame is going to have a wall thickness of about 0.5 or 0.6 in the middle of the main triangle. You’re going to be heating it up to a bright cherry red for 2 minutes. It’s stupid. But I’m sure you’ll keep asking the same questions until someone tells you to go ahead. Whether it’s been tig welded or brazed makes no odds.

redddraggon
    Free Member

You’re heating a thin walled steel component to 800c then air cooling it. Because it’s so thin walled, it will cool really quickly. So yes, you are basically quenching it.

You sound like the mechanical engineers I work with. They ask me questions, and ignore me when they don’t hear the answer they want to hear.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s the same cooling as brazing?

Brazing and welding only affect a small area at the ends of the tubes, and the ends are thicker for a reason. Like Mick says, do some proper tests if you actually plan to ride this bike.

What on earth are you doing, anyhow?

ampthill

You’re going to be heating it up to a bright cherry red for 2 minutes

No he isn’t.

I’m not sure how hot steel tubes would get in air at 800 degrees for 2 mins. But I think we can rule out 2 mins at 800 degrees

That’s why the test sound like a good idea

Or even just try an infra red pyrometer on a bit as it comes out of the oven

redddraggon
    Free Member

Infrared pyrometers are a waste of time.

ampthill

OK so how would you measure the temperature a piece of steel

I’d put money on it not being cherry red as it comes out of the oven

redddraggon
    Free Member

I use a thermocouple. IR pyrometers can be 100s of degrees out.

wwaswas

I just want to see the frame sized oven that goes up to 800c that Al’s building in his spare bedroom.

oliverracing

But I’m sure you’ll keep asking the same questions until someone tells you to go ahead.

Go Ahead – It’ll be awesome and I can say so cause I’m and engineer and have built 2 frames*!!!

*out of carbon and have no metal/heat treatment experience 😉

shandcycles
    Free Member

No he isn’t.

I’m not sure how hot steel tubes would get in air at 800 degrees for 2 mins. But I think we can rule out 2 mins at 800 degrees

That’s why the test sound like a good idea

Or even just try an infra red pyrometer on a bit as it comes out of the oven

In a previous conversation, he told me the frame needed to be heated to 800ºC for 2 minutes. I agree putting it in an 800º oven for 2 minutes isn’t the same thing. I don’t know if he know this.

irelanst
    Free Member

Assuming it’s in the oven long enough to reach 800°C then what is the oxidation rate going to be? Those thin wall sections in the middle are going to be wafer thin in no time at all.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Have you bought one of these Al?

bencooper
    Free Member

Maybe the idea is to make ceramic-coated rust?

Daffy

From memory, and in an Argon heat treatment oven (to avoid Ben’s critique) thin walled steel parts cooled from 1200k to 400-450k in around 20-30 seconds. The remaining 150k took a decent while longer.

It wasn’t quite the same result as oil or water quenching as we still saw some bainite formation, whereas with quenching it would’ve been almost all martensite.

cynic-al
    Free Member

shandcycles – Member

Al,

that frame is going to have a wall thickness of about 0.5 or 0.6 in the middle of the main triangle. You’re going to be heating it up to a bright cherry red for 2 minutes. It’s stupid

It might be, but I want someone to explain/convince me as to how rather than just say so.. Fancy a go at that?

redddraggon – Member

You’re heating a thin walled steel component to 800c then air cooling it. Because it’s so thin walled, it will cool really quickly. So yes, you are basically quenching it.

You sound like the mechanical engineers I work with. They ask me questions, and ignore me when they don’t hear the answer they want to hear.

See above – if all you can say is “because I say so and I’m right” I’d want a better answer.

Daffy – Member

From memory, and in an Argon heat treatment oven (to avoid Ben’s critique) thin walled steel parts cooled from 1200k to 400-450k in around 20-30 seconds. The remaining 150k took a decent while longer.

It wasn’t quite the same result as oil or water quenching as we still saw some bainite formation, whereas with quenching it would’ve been almost all martensite.

Cheers!

shandcycles – Member
    In a previous conversation, he told me the frame needed to be heated to 800ºC for 2 minutes. I agree putting it in an 800º oven for 2 minutes isn’t the same thing. I don’t know if he know this.

I’d hoped the fact I’d posted this thread would answer your last comment quite clearly 🙄

So can anyone think outside of their box and answer/explain?

oliwb
    Free Member

What was the final tempering temperature of the material? What are you trying to do with the 800°C???

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dunno, it’s basic non-heat-treated cromoly (yeah I can/could look it up, at work just now)

dragon
    Free Member

Your asking the question the wrong way around IMO. You should be working out what properties you need from the material in the final condition, look at where the material is now, then design the process to take you from material now to where you want to go.

Some info below robbed from another forum, who know’s if its correct:

Yes, for 4130 you heat, quench (to harden), heat, air cool (to temper) to heat treat it, and yes, this does result in a raised yield strength (the amount of force applied to a section before it gives), but no, it doesn’t change it’s Young’s modulus (which is roughly the same for all steels), in other words, it’s stiffness is he same.

If you do not heat treat the part after welding, the main sections will still have the roughly 72Ksi yield, which is really only marginally better then cold rolled mild steel at 69Ksi (and when you look at acceptable ranges you’ll find that they actually overlap, so real world, the 4130 could be lower), but around the weld joints it will self quench resulting in narrow areas where it is hard/brittle and not tempered, where it will be prone to shattering into sharp pointy pieces. Attempting to normalize it in sections usually results in just moving around the hard points unless you can manage to get the whole structure over it’s critical temperatures (around 1700* and then 1200*) at once.

shandcycles
    Free Member

It might be, but I want someone to explain/convince me as to how rather than just say so.. Fancy a go at that?

Sorry Al, I don’t know why. What I know is that if I heat a 0.5mm downtube up to 800ºc and hold it there for a couple of minutes then I’m pretty sure that frame will break. I certainly wouldn’t ride it.

I know you’re looking for specifics and I’m not able to provide them for you. There is a ton of info out there for you to read but without knowing what steel alloy you have, wall thicknesses etc it might be hard to get actual data.

There’s some really good (basic) info on this in the ‘Machinery Handbook’. I’m sure there’s better and more up to date information available too.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Would an email to Reynolds answer your questions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, I accept your position, you will no doubt that I want to find the facts tho!

dragon – Member

Your asking the question the wrong way around IMO. You should be working out what properties you need from the material in the final condition, look at where the material is now, then design the process to take you from material now to where you want to go.

Not possible unfortunately!

If you do not heat treat the part after welding, the main sections will still have the roughly 72Ksi yield,

Brant said recently that zero/few frames were heat treated post-welding.

I guess I could email Reynolds, I guessed they’d ignore me thinking me a time-waster!

shandcycles
    Free Member

Al,

I’ve just emailed you a tech doc from Reynolds, I’m not sure it sheds much light but it might be useful. I’m not sure if that doc is supposed to be in the public domain so I’d appreciate it if it wasn’t shared.

oliwb
    Free Member

I think (though am an Engineer not a metallurgist) that you’re over thinking this massively. There’s a lot of talk ^^ about normalizing, tempering, quenching etc. Most of this is more related to base materials that you use rather than welding.

I suspect what you really need to be doing is a heat treat post welding to stress relieve. The material condition post-welding is not nearly as much of a concern as the residual stresses that remain in the material after a welding operation. Stress relieving is controlled by time and temperature. As a general rule you want to stress relieve at <50°C below the final tempering temperature of the material batch supplied (you need mill certificates to work this out)…..as a guide the temperature you’re looking for is probably closer to 550-600°C MAX for ~4 hours (the longer the better), rather than 800°C for 2 mins. As others have stated 800°C for 2 mins is more akin to hardening (embrittling the material). 800°C for longer duration’s of time could result in normalizing the steel….you would then need quench and temper to get the strength back – this is the sort of stuff that happens at mills not fabrication workshops.

Oli.

oliwb
    Free Member

Per above….it’s not the 72ksi yield you need to be concerned about – it’s the 30-40 ksi residual stress around the heat affected zones (caused by welding) that results in early failure. You therefore need to stress relieve – not temper, quench, normalize or anything else that people have mentioned.

Oli.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Just to provide context. This isn’t about welding, Al has an old frame that he wants to coat (ceramic? enamel?) I can’t remember, and the process requires the frame being at 800ºC for 2 minutes. He wants to know if this will weaken the frame to an extent that it will effectively be unrideable.

And yes, everyone is overthinking this massively 🙂

oliwb
    Free Member

What’s the coating? 800°C for 2 mins could be an HVOF spray (probably fine), a spray then baked (maybe not fine) or a surface treatment (again probably not fine).

If it was mine…..I’d just get it powder coated for like £20 cash!

Oli.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I can see the need, I’m sick of getting baked on lasagne off my bike.

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I guess I could email Reynolds, I guessed they’d ignore me thinking me a time-waster!

Shirley not. Whyever would they think that….? 😀

somafunk

I’ve had a few exhaust manifolds/downpipes ceramic coated (rally cars/fast road cars) to help in under bonnet/transmission tunnel heat control issues but i can’t see the point in getting a bike frame done this way – it’s not really the type of finish that i’d desire in a frame. I’d get a good quality powder coat done by someone who knows what they are doing (bencooper knows a good one)

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of work/expertise without knowing why. Maybe you should hire a metallurgist for your boutique frame business rather than asking a forum?

dudeofdoom

Errr isn’t a ceramic coat going to crack if there’s any flex ?

Im sorta with soma funk on this – a quality powder coats lovely and pretty much normal…
    ceramics fine if your attempting reentry.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a copy of Bicycle Metallurgy for the Cyclist in the shop library – if I remember I’ll bring it home this evening.

There are some people doing some kind of ceramic coating on frames – only in the States I think, and I don’t think it’s a baked on finish.

mick_r

So can anyone think outside of their box and answer/explain?

If you want factual answers then give facts to base them on! I’ve read cookery books which give more information than your description of the heating process 🙂

Forget the hypothesising – Go measure on a bit of tube. Exactly how hot for how long? And what is the actual rate of cooling? Make some graphs. If you are serious it isn’t that hard.

£20 buys you a 1.5m thermocouple which could be run out of the oven.
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermocouples/7877841/

£12 buys you a K type digital readout from ebay.

And when you’re done you can whack it with a sledgehammer to at least see if it is still ductile and vaguely safe.

If you were armed with some facts and specific questions then I’m sure Reynolds would be approachable. Same for Columbus. Or go to Bespoked next year and talk to Engineers from them both face to face.

To be honest people have been pretty patient – the stw graphic designers get much snottier about giving work and information foc…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not ceramic.

Cheers Ben.

Mick it is literally going into a kiln at 800°C for 2 minutes then coming out (that kiln being at the he other end of the country). I don’t know how much more specific I can be.

irelanst
    Free Member

What exactly do you want to know, I assume how hot will the frame get and what metallurgical effect there will be?

There are still an awful lot of unknowns for people to even attempt to give an answer, I’m not a metallurgist, but I did spend 15yrs designing furnaces so know a bit about heat transfer. So I may be able to help on that part of the problem given some more information;

What are the dimensions and construction of the kiln? What is the configuration of the heating elements? Where will the frame be positioned inside it? What will be supporting the frame? Surface area of the frame? You would need this to calculate the form factor to determine the radiant and conductive (from any supports) heat transfer.

What is the control strategy, zoned? cascade control? Both have a huge influence on how the kiln responds to a cold load being introduced.

What is the coating you’re putting on? What’s its SHC, its emissivity, its latent heat of vapourisation?

Is the kiln purged with an inert atmosphere? If so Argon or Nitrogen based? What flow rate?

What’s the frame material, you mention 853 is it all 853? What are its properties, SHC, Thermal conductivity, density?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘"Any metallurgists/framebuilders in?" II (al's not giving up)’ is closed to new replies.