Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any medical professionals around? Healing time Q
  • PocketShepherd
    Free Member

So, I broke my LH clavicle 5 weeks ago last Sunday (Oct 21st). Had the operation to plate/screw it back together 10 days later (Oct 31st).

Now, I’ve pretty much got full range of motion back, and as of the weekend just gone I’m back on the mtb. It’s all good.

I didn’t have any stitches in it, just strips, and I’ve had a waterproof dressing (minimal, like a big plaster) on it since the op. Trouble is that every time I do any heavy exercise I sweat under the dressing, so I’ve been changing it myself after each session. Is this necessary? And how long do I need to keep the scar dressed/covered for?

Any advice appreciated 🙂

Drac

No not really necessary but if in doubt ring the Nurse at your GPs for advice.

wwaswas

3-4 weeks sounds like ‘not long’ for a bone to heal to me.

I found that my scar healed over much more quickly than it took the bones to knit.

What did the surgical team say about dressings and removing the steristrips?

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Surgical team said very little about dressing or anything. They told me to keep the sling on for 2 weeks and that’s about it.

For the first 2 weeks after the op I had the dressing changed every few days by the nurse at my GP (the nurse i saw post-op told me to do this). The nurses at the GP said the scar looked good, and after about 2 weeks took the strips off as it was no longer bleeding/had healed enough not to need them. But they put another dressing on over the scar which I have kept on (albeit changed to fresh after exercise).

wwaswas – I agree the bone probably hasn’t fully knitted, but it feels fine to use again, i’m just taking it very steady on the mtb. 🙂

benjamins11
    Free Member

Wound should be reasonably well healed within around 10 days – although this varies alot person to person. Also if you go too mad with activity you may delay the wound healing a little. Keeping it dressed will keep the wound moist – which contrary to popular belief actually helps wound healing. I personally would keep it dressed – if you get an infection in a wound with metal work underneath that can be bad news.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Thanks, benjamins11. That is kind of what I was thinking. I will carry on with keeping it dressed then.

I’m not really doing excessive exercise either really, just a couple of turbo sessions a week and like I said an MTB ride last weekend (taking it easy) Just to keep the legs reasonably fit. 🙂

jet26
    Free Member

As per posts above – the wound needs seeing by someone who knows what they are looking at.

Do you not have a f/up appt?

Most wounds can be left undressed at 14 days plus. They still need reviewing though!

beckykirk43
    Free Member

What does it look like now?

I had stitches in my elbow (after tendon surgery) taken out after 12 days and didn’t need any dressing on as it had healed up sufficiently!

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

In my wholly untrained opinion it looks good. Clean, and no bleeding or weeping etc.

I had a follow up with the surgeon about 2 weeks ago, he said it looked good (i had already had the strips removed and it redressed by a nurse at this point). It was that appointment where he told me to stop using the sling and get it moving again. But he did put a new dressing on it before I left, and I didn’t really think to ask how long I should keep it on for. I have another follow up appointment on 10th December. Sounds like I should likely keep it dressed until at least then.

Cheers for all the input 🙂

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Keeping it moist will definitely help the skin heal quicker and reduce scarring, but you need to keep it clean and dressed. If you ever get a couple of spots of road rash try letting one dry out and keeping the other moist and dressed – its usually pretty definitive.

Getting out on the bike should also speed things up as long as you don’t go excessive and run yourself down at all. Exercise speeds up the metabolism – faster healing, and you need to put load on the bones once they’ve knitted to trigger the deposition of calcium.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve had both collar bones plated by two different consultants and both times they said I shouldn’t ride the bike for at least 12 weeks after and even then I needed to be careful.

Yesterday I had another fracture clinic appointment this time for a shattered humerus (the surgical end). The consultant told me that I was fine to ride the bike now (12 weeks) as long as I didn’t fall off. But he said that if I did, the whole bone would come apart again in an instant. He said it would be another three months before the bone was calcified back to full strength.

Remember that the plate does not mean the bone has healed. It just means they are held stable. I think you’re running a big risk getting back on the bike that soon but fair play.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

Yeah falling off again would be a bad thing, like i said don’t go excessive and a bit of common sense as to what your riding, but you can trip up on the carpet with just the same consequences. Also remember though, that in general someone your seeing in a professional capacity is going to be ultra conservative as regards the treatment protocol. They don’t want any lawsuits and there is no incentive for them to get you back to full speed asap.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I fully agree with you both and I know full well the bone wont have healed itself fully yet. But I also know the risks and have been riding trails I know well and are within my capability and taking it really very steady.

On the flip side both times I have actually been out for a ride (as opposed to turbo) the next day my shoulder has felt far stronger and more comfortable. So while there is risk it definitely feels like there is benefit to exercising it too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any medical professionals around? Healing time Q’ is closed to new replies.