Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Maverick owners changed from magnesium to the newer alloy link
  • iDave
    Free Member

Any improvement in wonkiness/squeakage? Worth doing?

stuey
    Free Member

I never had wonky of squeak on an mg Maverick- does it want new bearings?
    iirc – it also makes for a slightly shorter front end – with more active suspension. I’ve ridden both the difference is noticeable- but not £200 better- you may also need a new BB 68/73 so do it if you can get one cheap.

iDave
    Free Member

had new bearings and brass inserts recently. I can’t get it tight enough. still riding it though 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

My old ML7 already had the alloy link fitted when I bought it. As I’ve not ridden both I can’t really comment, but the BB is further forward on the link on the newer version, which effectively shortens the front end and makes the suspension more active.

I now have a Durance which is even better than my ML7 was!

BadlyWiredDog

I switched mine. It is more active, it also effectively moves the BB forward slightly, so your hip/BB relationship changes a little. I was a bit concerned about that, but actually it seems slightly better for me, used to get mild lower back pain on very long rides, which it seems to have fixed.

I didn’t have any ongoing wonkiness issues with the magnesium monolink, only when the bearings were worn. I’d go through the various bolts and make sure there’s not play elsewhere. I’ve been through a few shock top-mounts, also check where the shock body bolts onto the seat-stays and make sure there’s no play there.

I thought they were supposed to squeak 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Maverick owners changed from magnesium to the newer alloy link’ is closed to new replies.