Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Any (male) primary school teachers on here..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Tell me about your job please…?

miketually
    Free Member

It’s like being a female primary school teacher, but with more penis and fewer breasts.

wwaswas

not a primary school teacher but KS1 tends to be a bit more ‘touchy feely’ than KS2 which is a little more formal.

joao3v16
    Free Member

a primary school teacher … tends to be a bit more touchy feely

This should generate a few interesting comments

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why?

nbt

It’s like being a female primary school teacher, but with more penis and fewer breasts.

i’d go for “just one” and “smaller”, respectively.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think there was a big thread s few months ago on this topic?

Worth a search – IIRC there was lots of comment – some of it was even grown up or funny 😛

Peyote
    Free Member

TSY – Because Male Primary School teachers are all peados and want to “touch and feel” their students of course. Don’t you read the papers?!

More seriously, does anyone know if the ratio of male:female primary school teachers is still dropping? Last I heard it was something like 1:10. Not sure if attitudes are on the change or not, but if they are then male primary school teachers are going to be in a very competitive market position soon.

wwaswas

ratios are still dropping I think.

tbh, a lot of schools would probably choose a male candidate over a similarly qualified/capable female one as they’re keen to be seen having male role models in the school.

druidh
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    ratios are still dropping I think.

tbh, a lot of schools would probably choose a male candidate over a similarly qualified/capable female one as they’re keen to be seen having male role models in the school.That

Coyote
    Free Member

Mrs C. has worked in primary education for 20+ years now and in that time has worked with 3 male teachers.

Why d’you ask Lodderk, comtemplating a career change? As an external observer I would say that whilst still intensely rewarding, primary teachers have had the life sucked out of them by successive incompetent career politicians who know nothing about education. And who have they got now? The great Pob, worst of the bunch yet.

Good luck if you do decide to give it a go.

joao3v16
    Free Member

does anyone know if the ratio of male:female primary school teachers is still dropping? Last I heard it was something like 1:10. Not sure if attitudes are on the change or not, but if they are then male primary school teachers are going to be in a very competitive market position soon

Is this one of those situations where the ratio of men:women Primary school teachers is a result of it just being something that women are naturally more likely to choose as a career?, but some people are trying to force it to be more balanced so that their equality/diversity looks good?

wwaswas

I think your reaction to my post about ‘touchy feely’ probably indicates why a lot of men are wary of getting involved in primary education.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is this one of those situations where the ratio of men:women Primary school teachers is a result of it just being something that women are naturally more likely to choose as a career?

This happens we could discuss why

, but some people are trying to force it to be more balanced so that their equality/diversity looks good?

no idea who “some people” are or what you think the “force” being employed is.

Like say boardrooms or MPs it may be better if the staffing reflected the real world. Secondary does not suffer as much from this disparity

Peyote
    Free Member

Is this one of those situations where the ratio of men:women Primary school teachers is a result of it just being something that women are naturally more likely to choose as a career?, but some people are trying to force it to be more balanced so that their equality/diversity looks good?

Possibly. I was also under the impression that males were discouraged from choosing it as a career based on a variety of society-based prejudices. In much the same way that women used to be discouraged from choosing to join the Police for example.

I think there is some mileage in addressing the societal (is that a word?) prejudice, but as always it is a matter of how it is done.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I think your reaction to my post about ‘touchy feely’ probably indicates why a lot of men are wary of getting involved in primary education

I hope not. I was just being an idiot.

I do agree with the ‘male role model/influence’ arguement for a more balanced male/female ratio.

gonefishin
    Free Member

That is exactly the sort of “logic” that is put forward when there is an effort to change male dominated work places (e.g. engineering) and is about as valid in this situation as it is in those.

joao3v16
    Free Member

That is exactly the sort of “logic” that is put forward when there is an effort to change male dominated work places (e.g. engineering) and is about as valid in this situation as it is in those.

Yes, my logic could be used for the wrong reasons.

What I was trying to suggest was, why is it generally seen to be an issue if something is male or female dominated? (provided it occurs naturally of course and not artificially through discrimination)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TSY – Because Male Primary School teachers are all peados and want to “touch and feel” their students of course. Don’t you read the papers?!

Noncesense. Altough, I think it’s time I talked to my Dad and brother-in-law.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh dear I can see this going the same way as the explosive “speedo” thread on tritalk a few years back!!

oxym0r0n

Tell me about your job please…?

Yes I have been for 7+ years – currently working in KS1 and KS2…

What do you want to know?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why is it generally seen to be an issue if something is male or female dominated?

because half the world is male and half the world female ?
    Many children have no fathers these days sadly and male role models are important
    You could argue that males interact slightly differently so can talk to kids about “male things” or sports for example. I dont know why you need to ask tbh. Ask a school if they would prefer a mi of genders teaching and they will all say yes- some practical stuff to do with going to trips or say taking them swimming etc

mattsccm
    Free Member

Been at it since 1993. (teaching that is). If you saw some of the little dear I work with there would be no way that “touchy feely would apply 😆 Its bad enough being in the same room!
    Its not a bad job but better for those new to it I think. More and more emphasis is being put on paperwork and assessment and also squeezing in new ideas that are generated vey few months. It takes the joy out of the job. The kids are no better educated now than they were when I was a kid, just different. You will have to assume that as a male in a primary school you will run the footy team and get to check out the boys bogs. It may be hard to avoid residential trips as well!
    Personally I wouldn’t go anywhere near a secondary school. It’s bad enough when 9 year olds ignore every adult because dad says they can. I hate to think what that would be like with a stack of 16 year olds.
    I reckon its great fun when all is wel but you can wave good bye to a social life whilst you are training and all your friend will be sick of your shop talk.
    Volunteer at a local school. fight your way through CRB stuff and see what you think

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am considering it, at 38 with two young kids of my own, I am sure I’d be able to bring something a little different. Tried a few months in a secondary school and it wasn’t for me.

Town planning is dead so I have to face the obvious fact that I’m going to need a career change. I’ve applied for a 2012 course so we’ll see what happens…

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve applied for a 2012 course so we’ll see what happens…

Have you been doing anything in schools? Pretty difficult to get on a course otherwise.

loddrik
    Free Member

As mentioned above I do have some experience in schools. I’d expect my age and gender to work for me.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

There wasnt any male teachers in my primary school – 2 classes in each years, so 14 teachers, and a handful of assistants / auxillaries

Depute head and head were female too as well as the canteen staff…only guy there was a janitor. This isn’t that uncommon either think it is a similar situation in a quarter of primary schools…not a particularly healthy situation IMO and i wonder if it is reflected in other countries too?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Just asked my 9 year old.

His school, years 0-6, 2 teachers per year (3 in one year) ie total 15 teachers, including 6 Male teachers and a male head.

This includes one out gay male teacher, and a female teacher who could probably punch any of the men into next week.

Nice state primary – and Im glad there are blokes teaching there.

anagallis_arvensis

I’d welcome more male primary teachers then I might get called Miss a bit less by the year 7’s. or maybe I wouldnt……

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Any (male) primary school teachers on here..?’ is closed to new replies.