Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Magura Wotan Users?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Running a set of Thors at the moment which I love but would quite like more travel. Been looking at some sets of 36s etc but reliability and worn stancions/cracked lowers seem to be rife!

So, does anyone on here run Wotans? Seem to tick the boxes for me but what are they like to live with? Anyone want to swap some for some Thors (maybe)?

Cheers
    Dave

Clong
    Free Member

I have them and they seem okay. They need a good service, after two years of use the’ve gone a bit stiff during the ride. I’d also say that the initial damping is a bit on the slow side, with the compression damping wound out fully i still find it a bit slow. Certainly very stiff. I dont use the albert select and i found that i rarely use the travel adjust. Not particulary hard to set up either.

MarkE25

I have a pair of Wotans on a Titus El Guapo and I would recommend them. Mine are 2008 and initially were a bit prone to diving under braking. I had a problem with the travel adjust cartridge that required a return to Magura and they replaced all of the internals with the 2009 version which seemed to cure the problem. They are very stiff and seem to suit me. I’ve just ordered a pair of Thors for my hardtail as I like the Wotans so much.

Bregante

Are all wotans adjustable travel? Found some pretty cheap on tinterweb

MrNutt
    Free Member

always fancied a set, you can get them in some interesting colours too

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

very stiff but heavy

Mine went back to magura for cos the travel adjust seized up (free, fast and got a total overhaul)

I would go for the current fox 36 floats over the wotan, but at the time (2 years ago) they were great value high performer

Be aware they will only take a ~205mm front disc

kamina
    Free Member

I had one from the first manufactured batches.

– Travel adjustment required really unweighting the fork to extend, or doing a wheelie (otherwise worked as expected).
    – Alberts selection was like a lock out to me even in the lowest setting, but I’m very light (they apparently changed it later on to have a lighter lowest setting).
    – They had used some kind of shitty silicone for lubing the lowers that started to become stiff when temperatures approached 0, and froze completely in sub zero. I guess stuff like that happens when you have a new product, but they said all forks are like that (I’ve used Manitou, Fox, Marzocchi and RS down to -20 with out problems). They also said that a user opening it up will void the warranty, and that warranty does not cover fixing the problem because it’s not a problem. Their attitude made it the last Magura fork I purchased, but i do know people have replaced the stock shit with oil and had good results.

edit:

Oh, and I think the fork was very smooth in warm temperatures, and extremely stiff (changed it for a pike which felt like a noodle).

MisterT

I have set of 2009 Wotans – and when it has the remote handlebar lever for high adjustment I think it’s just the best fork around. simple on the fly height adjustment without any impact on compression/rebound ratings…. press lever, lean back and up it comes to 160, or press the lever lean on bars and down it goes to 120 or anywhere in between…
    120 for fast twisty singletrack and climbing, or 160 for going down fast…

love the albert select for platform feel (i’m 12.5stone) run it about half way through the adjustment and then have open/closed platform that matches the same feel as the 2 positions on my RP23 on the back… closed for climbing.

I use Durin 100 Race, Menja 100, Fox 32, and Maverick SC32 on various bikes… and the Wotan is the simplest to use and the best performing I’ve ever tried.

And Magura UK are in my opinnion one of the best after sales support I’ve come across. having various magura forks, brakes and rear shocks, they have been most helpful whenever I send stuff for service or have problems or questions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Magura Wotan Users?’ is closed to new replies.