Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any mac experts – time machine backup problems
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Trying to back up to external hard disk (Formac) which is attached to Mac via usb. In TM set-up, is is not reading the hard disk and tries to default to Time Capsule.

Any ideas for trying to access the Formac HD?

grum
    Free Member

Have you formatted the Formac HD? Is it showing up in Finder or Disk Utility?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers grum – no its not showing up. TBH, is should have done this a long time ago!! I have lost formac packaging. I attached to mac when I bought it, but stupidly didnt set up time machine at the same time.

So when turn TM on and the pane comes up where the HD should be, there is nothing.

Hope that makes sense!!

unsponsored
    Free Member

May have to repair using the disk utility. I sometimes have this issue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

i cant find it in DU either? It shows other HD

somouk
    Free Member

I would imagine if it’s not showing in Disk Utility then you have a problem with the disk or USB connection.

Try it in a different machine and see if it pops up.

grum
    Free Member

Hmm, is it powered? Power supply definitely working and plugged in/HD switched on if it has a switch? Sorry for suggesting numpty solutions. 🙂

nickdavies

Macbook? Is it a powered usb drive – if it draws power via USB you may not have it plugged in to a connection with enough power to run it.

My external drive lights up on both MBA ports but only runs properly on one of them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, odd that it doesn’t read it. Its a Formac HD attached via one USB. There is a button on it (no explanation but looks like an on/off). I have tried that both ways – am I missing a cable?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Grum – no probs. it is VERY LIKELY to be a numpty issue. IT is not my bag (!) despite being a MTBer!!

The power cable is a good numpty suggestion. There isnt one on the HD – should there be?

slackalice
    Free Member

Would formatting it for FAT32 help?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OMG – this could be embarassing. It does need power 😳 Some progress now – I hope.

Never underestimate IT stupidity with the un-trained!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks all – grum, correctly identified me as an IT idiot – the old on switch solution (plus actually connecting the power cable, which had been knocked out, in my defence). Mega numpty!!

Goes off to hide now!

grum
    Free Member

😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Feel free to remind me of this grum at an appropriate moment in the future!! Also feel free to edit your recent:

grum – Member
    Thing is, THM is clearly an intelligent guy

😉

Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any mac experts – time machine backup problems’ is closed to new replies.