Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any Lotus Notes administrators here?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It would be really handy if I could write a shell script to set my ‘location’ automatically, under Linux.

Stoner
    Free Member

Any Lotus Notes administrators here

I can’t imagine we have anyone quite so sadistic amongst our fold.

bikebouy
    Free Member

AyUp thys ear modern teknologys wonderful innit…

mogrim

I can’t imagine we have anyone quite so sadistic amongst our fold

I would certainly hope not, but if by chance one of Satan’s spawn is on here, they should know there is a special circle of hell reserved for them and their ilk.

andytherocketeer

Had a feeling there was actually one LN admin guy on here.
    Probably keeping a low profile.
    Or just busy trying to work out the the ***k you’re sposed to do something really simple, that’s changed in a last secret update, or just completely and totally lost within the unnavigable menus, and can’t find his way out.

molgrips
    Free Member

😆

Take the piss all you want, it’s not my choice.. goddamn piece of crap.

The reason I need a script is that if I sleep the computer, the VPN client gets confused and then drops, which in turn totally confuses Notes requiring it to be zapped and restarted. I need a script to run when it sleeps to put it in offline mode.

andytherocketeer

Problem with zapping Notes is (or was, unless it’s fixed) is that you have to log out entirely and log back in again. At least it was the case on Windoze. No clue why.

Take the piss all you want, it’s not my choice.. goddamn piece of crap.

yeah, same here, sadly.

rusty90
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, that’s the whole point of zap – it nukes it from orbit.

mogrim

Problem with zapping Notes is (or was, unless it’s fixed) is that you have to log out entirely and log back in again. At least it was the case on Windoze. No clue why.

Cos when you “exit” Notes you don’t, really. It leaves another process running in the background. Makes it look like it’s quick to start up when really it never stopped.

footflaps

Wife used to have to use it, the whole of Peugeot Citroen group used it. I was amazed it still existed.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s actually incredibly powerful, but it’s so obtuse I’m not sure anyone ever uses it to its full capability. And the UI is shite.

andytherocketeer

it’s theoretically incredibly powerful, but it needs developers and maintainers within the company to well, develop and maintain the “apps” (for want of a better word). I don’t know of any company that uses LN to use it anywhere near its potential capability.

we use it as an email client, with a hint of meeting room booking and meeting invitation. presumably quite an expensive one. oh and a forsale/wanted bulletin board.

edit: and all of our bespoke/custom corporate enterprise applications are developed and maintained entirely outside of notes, when the whole idea of notes is that they could or should be in there.

the client was written by the summer interns I think.

footflaps

sounds a bit like VBA then….

johnners
    Free Member

I used to be a LN administrator in one of my previous jobs, frankly I never had a clue what was going on. Luckily the company only used the email bit, so something of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Made Outlook look a breeze when they eventually switched to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know of any company that uses LN to use it anywhere near its potential capability.

Me neither – it’s because it’s such a ballache.

Cougar

It’s actually incredibly powerful, but it’s so obtuse

That’s the most succinct description of Notes I’ve ever read.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any Lotus Notes administrators here?’ is closed to new replies.