Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any logical reason car seller only having the 'New Keeper' supplement of V5?
  • naffrider1
    Free Member

Hi,

My car’s on its last legs and been looking for a new (to me) one.

Found one, £1350 to give you idea of level. Seems good, lowish miles, looks well looked after but having contacted seller (who’s selling on behalf of his ill mum) he says that he only has the New Keeper supplement of the V5, which I think is a bit odd? He trying to hide something in doing away with the rest of it? Or is there a logical explanation?

This also in addition to no history having lost it in a move…

Dodgy as hell or just a family down on their luck?

Ta,

Cougar

He never sent it away for a full V5 when he bought the car, I suppose.

nbt

if you think it’s dodgy…

Walk away renee, as the song says

garage-dweller

Move on. Easy and cheap for reg keeper to order a replacement v5. Not done that when selling raises questions to me.

Also potential log book loans (are they still a thing?) Where you hand over v5 as security.

jamesy01
    Free Member

You can change the log book on line…suggest doing it all before handing over pictures of the Queens head!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Or he’s just recently bought it and the new log book hasn’t come back yet.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    He never sent it away for a full V5 when he bought the car, I suppose.

That’s the seller’s responsibility.

Rockhopper – Member
    Or he’s just recently bought it and the new log book hasn’t come back yet.

If legit, more likely that.

jimjam
    Free Member

Probably flipping cars bought at auction and using “old mum” to seem more legit.

Cougar

That’s the seller’s responsibility.

Good point.

Wait – do you mean he has a blank new keeper slip? So there’s no proof that it’s actually his to sell?

kayla1
    Free Member

^ that.

Local wannabe Mike Brewer wheeler dealer type, innit bruv. He’s probably selling hawking it for £500 more than he paid for it.

midlifecrashes

Mike Brewer’s mum’s house

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

If he is selling on behalf of his mum it should be her details on the new keeper part and possibly the previous keeper hasn’t notified the dvla of a change of keeper. You’d think they would have chased that up though when they didn’t receive a v5. Or he’s just bought it from somewhere and isn’t giving you the full story.

Either way you need to find out. No relation to Mike by the way 😆

Sundayjumper

He’s bought it and is immediately moving it on – either ‘cos he’s a wannabe dealer, or there’s something terribly wrong with it.

kormoran
    Free Member

My mechanic summed it upped nicely

‘Buying second hand? Remember it’s lies, all lies’

CountZero

Many of the cars I pick up are Motability cars, and almost never have a V5 with them, often not even a service book, sometimes no paperwork at all.
    These are all cars no older, usually, than two or three years, often a year or so. All pretty low mileage, going to auction, I guess all that stuff is held by Motability, I’ve never bothered to check.

milky1980
    Free Member

Also potential log book loans (are they still a thing?) Where you hand over v5 as security.

Yes they are still a ‘thing’ and they do withhold the V5.

No V5 = No sale in my mind.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lots of cars out there I’d probably just walk and find another

dmorts

I’ve seen few times that V5 prove ownership.

Which begs the questions, well what does prove ownership?

And that also it means that log books are poor security for loans, ie the lender has the log book but no right to ownership…. although they will be responsible for taxing the car?!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any logical reason car seller only having the 'New Keeper' supplement of V5?’ is closed to new replies.