Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any lock recommendations?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Afternoon, I've just completed my commuter bike but realised that the only lock I've got is a huge, heavy and long motorbike chain with padlock. This is good but a bit too heavy and bulky to carry anywhere with me.

Can anyone recommend me a decent, carryable lock that'll look after £200 or so of commuter?

Cheers

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

For my commuter I'm using a 10 year old Kryptonite New York lock with a KryptoFlex cable looped through the wheels. It's a bit on the heavy side but it fits onto the rack so I don't really notice it. It gets locked in the street most days in the City and as far as I can tell nobody has even had a go at it.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

kryptonite evo 4 at £40-50 is best bang for buck (sold secure gold)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Abus granite Much better than kryptonite

abductee
    Free Member

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread17938.html
    Mini U locks are the way to go if you want a lock that you can carry

matthew_h
    Free Member

Apologies for taking so long to reply. Thanks for the advice and thanks you yo abductee for the great link.

Going to get one of the Onguard Brute U-Locks I think. Seem to be a good compromise between cost and protection.

Solo
    Free Member

I'm with TJ on this. Abus Granite, LONG, PLUS, motorcycle chain with numerical pad lock.

THATS TWO LOCKS !, yes its all a bit heavy, but I love my bike and MUST KEEP IT !. Riding a heavier bike (33Lbs with locks) means I'm fairly quick when on the ST on my 26Lbs FS 😉

Seem to be a good compromise between cost and protection. Please forgive me, but….NO

Really, get the best, don't compromise. If your bike is worth keeping, then some A-Hole will want to take it. If that happens, you'll be proper gutted, and the £20 you saved on your compromise, won't matter.

Get the best, KEEP your bike.

8)

Solo.

Northwind

Good quality u-lock is the best bet, strong and portable. Cable locks are generally weak, sold secure and thatcham don't attack them with proper cable cutters which is the only reason most can achieve a pass. But then Sold Secure has never been a gauge of quality.

I went off kryptonite a bit when they kept on selling locks with the old round keys even after the bic pen crack was public- even known ripoff merchants Oxford reacted better. But they do make good locks.

matthew_h
    Free Member

It's only going to be locking a scabby commuter and fairly infrequently at that. I'm not going to spend Abus Granite amounts of money on a lock for that. Just doesn't seem worth it. The bike is insured anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Make sure the u lock you get is double locking – both ends of the shackle are locked into the bar and that it has a pick and drill proof keyway

the ones where one end of the shackle just clips in are very easy to lever apart.

hitman
    Free Member

Kryptonite New Yorker

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I'm happy with an Onguard 8mm 85cm hardened chain. It's just long enough to include the rear wheel, frame and a slimish lamp-post. More versatile than D locks, 1.5Kg so not too bad, and it easily fits in a bum bag.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any lock recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.