Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any lighting engineers on here (of the floodlighting variety)?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Race course behind my house has just put planning permission in for a floodlit all weather track – 40m high floodlights with about 800 light on them which does sound a touch brighter than usual bike light…

Looking at the illumination summary I’m ‘0.5’ on my property but I can’t seem to find any info as to whether that is pitch black or I need to put my sunglasses on at night!

Any one got any experience?

And, please, no NIMBY comments, they are building new houses, protecting a nature reserve (presumably as a fop for the protestors…) and there are now Greater Crested Newts to worry about which is all good…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bump for the dinnertime crew…

Flaperon

Is the 0.5 an arbitrary value or in lux?

0.5 lux is roughly twice as bright as the full moon on a clear night, according to the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia. On the bright side, think how much electricity you’ll save.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The rugby pitches behind my place have a similar sort of setup – whoever set them up seems to have been quite smart in directing most of the light at the pitches and not at the surrounding area. I do get the ocassional startlingly bright glin through the tress when I’m walking down the back path, but generally it’s not an issue, they’re normally done before 9PM and there won’t be training every night (those lights are too expensive to run!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any lighting engineers on here (of the floodlighting variety)?’ is closed to new replies.